Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help with grandfathers medal roll

Guest Celtic75(cdn allies)

HI guys first i would like to introduce myself and to say what a great web site this is.My name is Drew im a first generaion canadian of british decent.i am a big WW2 buff and and apon a recent dicovery i am now embarking on WW1.Both my granfathers fought in ww1 and ww2 in England.I recently found my grandfathers medal roll papers from the national archives.He was in service from 1912 to 1922.I can make out some of the info such as regements but i cant figure out the batallions or what most of the numbers and abreviations mean.I desperatly would like to find out the war diaries and where he was.He survived WW1 but i also hear through my family that there is a memorial in france with his name on it.I would really like to find that.If any one could help me with understanding the papers i have i would greatly appreciate it.I would have no problem emailing them to any one that could help,thank you

Drew...

Hi Drew

Welcome to the forum. If you could post the documents here it would be of help, you would hopfully get more replies.

Good luck

Annette

Hi Drew

Welcome to the forum. If you could post the documents here it would be of help, you would hopfully get more replies.

Good luck

Annette

Hi Annette,thank you.Here it is i hope the size is right i dont know how to resize itUser.jpg

Hi Drew

Firstly, if your grandfather is on a memorial in France, it’s probably not because he died, there is no one matching his details on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site.

You have a scan of the index card to the medal roll and you need to go back to the National Archives to look on the rolls themselves.

He entered France on 15-1-15 probably with the 2nd Battalion of the King’s Own (Royal Lancashire Regiment) who arrived in France in January or possibly he went out to reinforce the 1st Battalion already there (see the Long, Long Trail main site). The medal roll for his 1914/15 Star is MGC5 C2 (you need to cross reference that number to find the Archives WO329 reference), he will be found on page 187. It looks like a duplicate request was submitted, but I can’t read the details from the scan.

He transferred to the Machine Gun Corps on its formation and ended up in the Motor Machine Gun branch. The medal roll for his British War and Victory medals is the reference MMG/ 103B 4 page 104.

Fred

Hi Drew

Firstly, if your grandfather is on a memorial in France, it’s probably not because he died, there is no one matching his details on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site.

You have a scan of the index card to the medal roll and you need to go back to the National Archives to look on the rolls themselves.

He entered France on 15-1-15 probably with the 2nd Battalion of the King’s Own (Royal Lancashire Regiment) who arrived in France in January or possibly he went out to reinforce the 1st Battalion already there (see the Long, Long Trail main site). The medal roll for his 1914/15 Star is MGC5 C2 (you need to cross reference that number to find the Archives WO329 reference), he will be found on page 187. It looks like a duplicate request was submitted, but I can’t read the details from the scan.

He transferred to the Machine Gun Corps on its formation and ended up in the Motor Machine Gun branch. The medal roll for his British War and Victory medals is the reference MMG/ 103B 4 page 104.

Fred

Hi,thanks alot.My grandfather did survive ww1.Im not sure about the memorial i was told a while back by someone in my family that said there was a memorial or such with his name on it.I will check that out on the archives but i am not that familiar with it but ill give it a go.Im curious that you say there was 2 requests.Thanks again

Drew.

Hi Drew

The 2nd request looks like Dup sub (duplicate submitted) “ (dittoing MGC)/ 6c page 2, but I can’t make out the remark, I’ll take a stab at Con (confirm) auth (authorisation) MGC5 C2 187, but then I'm lost.

I forgot to mention that the MGC and Motor Machine Gun Corps units also have good coverage on the Long Long Trail main site.

If you add a subtitle to this thread mentioning MMG, MGC and R Lanc Regt, you might grab the interest of pals who take an interest in those units and get their help too.

Fred

Hi Drew

The 2nd request looks like Dup sub (duplicate submitted) “ (dittoing MGC)/ 6c page 2, but I can’t make out the remark, I’ll take a stab at Con (confirm) auth (authorisation) MGC5 C2 187, but then I'm lost.

I forgot to mention that the MGC and Motor Machine Gun Corps units also have good coverage on the Long Long Trail main site.

If you add a subtitle to this thread mentioning MMG, MGC and R Lanc Regt, you might grab the interest of pals who take an interest in those units and get their help too.

Fred

Hey thanks alot Fred.i checked out pg 187 i cant get any further i have to pay about $20 Cnd for a request,i did add in the subtitle like you suggested,thanks again

drew..

Hi Drew.

Fred is quite right in that 2nd Kings Own went to France 15/1/1915. You could try an e-mail to Peter Donelly (Kings Own Museum, Lancaster) a most helpful chap. The address is kingsownmuseum@iname.com. Give him the details and I'm sure you will at least find out his battalion and maybe some service history.

Good luck,

peteg

Hi Drew.

Fred is quite right in that 2nd Kings Own went to France 15/1/1915. You could try an e-mail to Peter Donelly (Kings Own Museum, Lancaster) a most helpful chap. The address is kingsownmuseum@iname.com. Give him the details and I'm sure you will at least find out his battalion and maybe some service history.

Good luck,

peteg

Thank you i will definetly do that :)