Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Decoration

James Brown

Was the Territorial Decoration an award that was given to serving soldiers in a field of conflict

Thanks

James

Max

is that the 'Efficiency Medal' ?

chris

Yes. It is the one where the TA chap get TD as his post nominals! Bit sad really but I suppose it makes them feel important. Seem to remember the ribbon is mainly dark green.

Seem to remember the ribbon is mainly dark green.

with two stripes i think

cheers mate

is that the 'Efficiency Medal' ?

I've got one of these as part of a set for a soldier.

Its a bit tattered, but it has a green ribbon, with yellow stripes on the outside edges

(I am at work so this is as far as I'm going to go as far as detail is concerned - its a while since I've looked at it)

can scan if anyone wants to see it for reference?

regards

doogal

James

The Territorial Decoration replaced the Volunteer Officers Decoration (abbreviated to VD - I kid you not, they even put those initials in the Army List - oh how their men must have laughed) in Britain, in 1908. Both were awarded for 20 years service as an officer; service in the ranks only counted as half. The Efficiency Decoration in turn, replaced the TD in 1930.

Fred

The Efficiency Decoration in turn, replaced the TD in 1930.

Fred

did the service requirement still hold then? (for the efficiency medal)

chris

Thanks for the input there Pals.

I came across the refernce to the TD when I was updating some of my research. And I had'nt come across it before. The explanations on this post have cleared that up.

doogal

can scan if anyone wants to see it for reference?

That would be great if you could post the scan doogal

Thanks

James

Chris

‘The basic qualification for receiving the [Efficiency] decoration was 20 years continuous service by officers of the territorial and auxiliary forces of the Britain and the Commonwealth reduced to 12 years after 1949 …Service by officers which had counted to decorations replaced in 1930 was not allowed to count towards the Efficiency Decoration.’

That description is taken from the Medal Year Book 1999 (I was going to throw it out when I got a round tuit, now I’m glad I didn’t it has much more detail than later editions), which in turn took it from JMA Tamplin’s The Efficiency Decoration instituted in 1930. I’ve not read that, but their description of the VD follows his pamphlet on that decoration accurately.

Fred

cheers fred

much appreciated

The right-hand medal in the group below is the Territorial Decoration.

post-23-1108746233.jpg

The right-hand medal in the group below is the Territorial (Efficiency) Medal:

post-23-1108746299.jpg

The right-hand medal in the group below is the Territorial (Efficiency) Medal:

Or even Efficiency Medal [Territorial];[1930]as it could carry various Clasps by this time,eg:Militia,TAVR[ERII];& Also The Names of Various Countries it was eligible in: such as Canada,India,Ceylon,Malaya,South Africa,Southern Rhodesia.

The Medal awarded @ the time of the Great War was the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal[1908~1920] or The Territorial Efficiency Medal [1920~30] which has the relevant Inscription on the Reverse & is suspended variously from an Oval Swivelling Ring or a Fixed Round Ring Mount.

The Territorial Decoration replaced the Volunteer Officers Decoration (abbreviated to VD - I kid you not, they even put those initials in the Army List - oh how their men must have laughed) in Britain, in 1908. 1930.

Fred

An ex-Royal Navy friend of mine reckoned that, especially when serving out east, it was known as a "full house" when a sailor had 3 different venereal diseases at the same time. Nothing to do with the TD but you see the connection! I was asked not to mention this snippet in front of his lady wife. :rolleyes: Phil B

The Territorial Efficiency Medal and the Efficiency Decoration are different medals. The Volunteer Forces Long Service Good Conduct Medal was issued to other ranks for 20 years service. The replacement, for most personnel in 1908, was the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. The qualification was reduced to 12 years consistent good conduct, it became the Territorial Efficiency Medal in 1922 and the Efficiency Medal from 1930.

JMA Tamplin wrote the following:

The Volunteer Forces Long Service Medal

The Territorial Force Efficiency Medal 1908-1921

The Territorial Efficiency Medal 1922-1930

The Efficiency Medal instituted 1930

The Territorial Decoration 1908-1930

all in the Spink Medal Booklet Series.

Yes. It is the one where the TA chap get TD as his post nominals! Bit sad really but I suppose it makes them feel important. Seem to remember the ribbon is mainly dark green.

Whats wrong with post nominals from service?

Thank you for the help there Pals. much appreciated

James

Yes.  It is the one where the TA chap get TD as his post nominals!  Bit sad really but I suppose it makes them feel important.  Seem to remember the ribbon is mainly dark green.

Whats wrong with post nominals from service?

I am sure Captain Mainwareing would have been very proud.