The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

7123 Herbert Warburton 1Bn South Staffordshire Regiment

Herbert was born 1889 in Derbyshire and married and lived in Birmingham. He served in S Staffs Regiment and was a POW in Germany 1914.  He also started up a band called We are the Seven Birmingham K'Nuts.  Is there any info available please.   Thanks   

image.png

image.png

Charlie,

The ICRC would be well worth searching as its highly likely his record as a pow would reveal where and when he was captured, whether he was injured when captured and which camps he was held at. It may also reveal how and when he was repatriated  (but this bit is by no means universal). The ICRC website can be a bit of a pain to search

The camp on the card looks like Friedrichsfeld though some camps were used as a 'postal address' while the prisoners had been dispersed to labour camps in that region. I can't make out his service number from the card but armed with that you can search for his service record (probably won't have survived), his medal entitlement (likely to be a 14 star trio) and if you can determine his battalion then you may be able to download the relevant war diary which will likely reveal the nature and location of the action that cost him his liberty.

I should have mentioned earlier that reading 'the long long trail' is the ideal place to begin your research, its linked at the top of this page.

As he was captured in 1914 he would have been either in the 1st (arriving from South Africa) or 2nd Bttn  (arriving from Aldershot) so a pre war regular soldier.

Simon

Charlie.

He was in the 1st Bttn arriving in Belgium on 4/10/14 so it is this war diary you will need from the National Archive which conveniently is free to download at present.

How sure are you he was captured in 1914 (i.e. where did the info come from) ? His ICRC record doesn't tell us much but does have a date of 23/2/16 which may be date of capture though I'm not the best when it comes to searching the ICRC archive. It doesn't mention a camp and irritatingly the R ref isn't recognised by the site as valid so no repatriation details either. There are a number of photos of Friedrichsfeld camp on Google images.

Simon

His number was 7123 and he served with the 1st battalion. His service number indicates enlistment in April 1904. As @mancpal says Friedrichsfeld was often used as a postal address but there is some interesting stuff about the camp here https://friedrischfeldpowcamp-blog.tumblr.com/page1 and maybe you can spot him in the photos.

• spof changed the title to 7123 Herbert Warburton 1Bn South Staffordshire Regiment