Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Adrian Helmet Badges

wolfcooper

Your helmet is an Adrian mle 15 model.

The insigna is also french but worn on Adrian style mle 1932. The color is typical of ww2. The round insignas, easier to produce appears in 1935. You will find another exemple of round insigna on this post ( captain Mitch contribution - an air force insigna).

• 8 months later...

2 hours ago, JWM72 said:

I hope it’s not a bad time to ask for help. Can anyone share RGB or hex codes for French Adrians in the war? I’ve seen there are many variants, from  Light blue, to a denim color, to grey blue, to darker blue with a slight purple hue, to dark navy blue. 

Ordering  the right color is essential as it’s expensive when you get it wrong.  Any help is most appreciated. 

I was told that a shade of midnight blue was introduced from 1916 onwards, to overcome issues with glare. 

There's a bit more detail on the following thread. You do have to be a member of the "WW1 Buffs" group to see the content, as I understand it. The Frenchman making most of the comments has a large collection of Adrian helmets. His level of english is impressive, but I believe he studied for his degree in the US.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2349109384/posts/10158000110464385/

• 4 months later...

Here is a Mdle 1915 helmet to the Engineers. I can vouch for its authenticity, as it was my great-uncle's.  The outer shell is a darker blue than what we think of as Horizon Blue.  It is lighter underneath the liner.  It has definitely received another coat of darker blue paint.  I read somewhere (I believe the painting instructions for a model of a 75 cannon) that a clear coat applied over the blue turned it darker.

Michael

helmet1.JPG

helmet2.JPG

Edited by Michael Johnson

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone! I know that I am quite late to this topic, however when going through some footage in the French archives I have stumbled upon a man with an Adrian badge that has completely eluded and stumped me. It looks vaguely like a mix of the flaming grenade and the crescent, and curiously appears to have some wreath formation around the center grenade. I had initially thought it was the badge of the colonial infantry until I had looked closer. I and two others have been unable to identify it, and we would very much appreciate some help! The man in question appears at roughly 0:26 in the footage. 

https://imagesdefense.gouv.fr/fr/nos-collections/chronologie/premiere-guerre-mondiale/compilation-d-images-mitrailleuses-escrime-a-la-baionnette-poste-de-combats-en-1918.html

image0 (3).jpg

Edited by EclipseInDark

Interesting - I agree - I can't make it fit with anything I am familiar with: the closest (rather implausibly) appears to be the medical badge but even that is only generally close.

Adrian_edited-1.jpg.0d5907506413c816a22391652c150a0a.jpg

my screen grab showing a slightly different angle

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
typo

49 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Interesting - I agree - I can't make it fit with anything I am familiar with: the closest (rather implausibly) appears to be the medical badge but even that is only generally close.

Adrian_edited-1.jpg.0d5907506413c816a22391652c150a0a.jpg

my screen grab showing a slightly different angle

Chris

I agree, it looks vaguely similar to the service de santé badge but that definitely isn't it. This is quite a curious mystery.

Little forensic drawing

image0 (4).jpg

Edited by EclipseInDark

Given what they are doing I wondered if there was an “anti-aircraft” badge… but trawling through my refs didn’t produce anything.

Chris