Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gordon Stewart Frazer Dale

TaurusSteve

Hi, I'm trying to find out more about my Great Grandad's brother in WW1. I believe he was in the 15th Royal Warwickshire Regiment, and I think he was a Second Lieutenant. Any more information would be appreciated, thanks!

Note the spelling of Stuart and Fraser

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 10 APRIL, 1915. 3555

The Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

15th Battalion (2nd Birmingham!)

— The undermentioned to be temporary Second Lieutenants: —

Roland Ivor-Gough. Dated 3rd October, 1914.

Gordon Stuart Fraser Dale. Dated 12th March, 1915.

His medal card can be downloaded for free from TNA   HERE

or From Ancestry     HERE

you can also download the war diary for free from the TNA during the pandemic

Ray

What you say above is correct.  I can't offer much more as I no longer have a subscription to Ancestry or FMP. His medal entitlement is the 14-15 trio, first entering a theatre of war in Nov 1915 (France). As an officer he would have had to apply for his medals which he did on the 27/6/21 while he was a resident of Handsworth, Birmingham. One of the very few bonuses of the current situation is that the National Archive is waiving fees for their digitised collections so you'll probably be able to download the !5th Warwicks war diary which will give you a day by day account of their movements, being an officer he may also be named within.

If his service record exists you may well find out more of the man. Local newspapers sometimes provide a few snippets (more likely if injured or killed I feel).

Simon

I think the document above relates to the Silver War Badge but I'm not sure about the "refusal list" part. If injury or illness forced him to leave then surely he would be entitled to it.

Simon

9 minutes ago, mancpal said:

I think the document above relates to the Silver War Badge but I'm not sure about the "refusal list" part. If injury or illness forced him to leave then surely he would be entitled to it.

Simon

Hmm I wonder how he was injured?

13 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Relinquish commission due to ill health 10 Feb 1917

LG https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29935/page/1384 

24 minutes ago, TaurusSteve said:

Hmm I wonder how he was injured?

There is no mention on the  SWB document that he was injured

as ForeignGongs post he "Relinquish commission due to ill health"

I assume the a cause of his illness was  not attributable to his military service hence the refusal of a SWB 

Edited by RaySearching

That makes more sense. Would this mean after relinquishment he stayed in the army at a lower rank or left completely. I mistakenly thought that if he had been caused to leave through illness he would have received a badge because its unlikely he created the debility purposely.

Simon

There are now available from WFA/Fold3 two Officer's Pension Card [widow] Case OA 878

Widow: Vera Gertrude Dale [on one card there is an initialled date of 6.3.67 - which might suggest an approx. date for her death]

:-) M

Gordon Stuart Fraser Dale died at Dudley Road Hospital on the 8th Jan 1967   (born 1893)

Probate was granted to his widow Vera Gertrude Dale on the 1st March 1967

The date 6th March 1967 will be the date that the ministry of pensions received a claim from his widow, for a widows pension

His widow Vera Gertrude Dale died on the 6th July 1992   (born 1909)

Ray

Edited by RaySearching

4 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

[on one card there is an initialled date of 6.3.67 - which might suggest an approx. date for her death]

I did say might as often it seems an OR's widow date of death [or thereabouts] is recorded

44 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Gordon Stuart Fraser Dale died at Dudley Road Hospital on the 8th Jan 1967   (born 1893)

Probate was granted to his widow Vera Gertrude Dale on the 1st March 1967

The date 6th March 1967 will be the date that the ministry of pensions received a claim from his widow, for a widows pension

This seems a much more plausible explanation now.

:-) M

11 minutes ago, TaurusSteve said:

Is it possible to find out which battles he was in?

Download the 15 Warwicks war

diary as suggested in post 2 and 3

Found this! " 2/Lieut Dale sent in a note that he was installed in a German trench, 50 yards or more to the right of Captain Davidson, firing on German Bombing Party.  This officer returned later on, gallantly saving hid two guns and bringing in an extra tripod he had found." Wow that must be him. From the book"Slaughter On The Somme".

Edited by TaurusSteve

Have not read it but this book comes  highly recommended

birmingham.JPG.ee84fdffc2aab406407a7e4421021d1b.JPG

Ray

23 hours ago, TaurusSteve said:

Found this! " 2/Lieut Dale sent in a note that he was installed in a German trench, 50 yards or more to the right of Captain Davidson, firing on German Bombing Party.  This officer returned later on, gallantly saving hid two guns and bringing in an extra tripod he had found." Wow that must be him. From the book"Slaughter On The Somme".

So this is possibly him?

I don't think the 15th Warwicks were part of the advance on the 1st day of the Battle of the Somme  

but were later involved in a subsidiary attack on High Wood 

please post the page number of the entry in  the book you have quoted 

Ray