Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mix and match uniforms for Aero Squadron flyers

Guest Gary Davidson

Guest Gary Davidson

I have noticed that in more than a few pictures early Aero Squadron flyers at the Front wearing bits and pieces of other Allied uniforms - and even German. I’ve also seen American flyers in portrait shots wearing full dress RFC and French uniforms. Was this the norm?

Gary

Gary

As I understand it, US fliers in British or French uniform would have served in the air services of those countries. Some of them may have still worn their old uniforms when they transfered into the USAS when American units arrived at the Front.

There was a preference by many airmen in the USAS for 'British-style' tunics, ie worn with a shirt and tie, rather than the plain collar of the US uniform. Officers' tunics would be produced by a civilian tailor to the design specified by the person buying the garment. Similarly, many US airmen wore caps similar to the RFC Field Service cap, rather than the US Army issue 'overseas' cap.

There are instances of non-regulation uniforms in other services, though not as marked as the USAS. The British fighter pilot Major James McCudden VC had a cap that was cut on rather German lines, as he admired the look. Some post war German pilots serving in Eastern Europe with the Freikorps wore tunics with a shirt and tie - a mode of dress later adopted by the Luftwaffe.

As ever, young men can be slaves to what they see as fashion.

Regards

Gareth