Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Thomas Chambers Watson

kev1874

Hello,

I'm trying to find out which a few thing about Thomas service if anybody could help me please.

From what I've found out so far he was a territorial but could any body tell me when he would have joined? His service number with the 5th Royal Scots was 1864 and he lived in Edinburgh as far as I know.

The other thing I'd like to know if possible is what battalion would he have served with during his time spent with the tank corps, from his service number 95600 I think he joined the tanks around February 1917 from the Royal Scots but I cant find out what battalion he would have joined, his rolls just say tank corps although others around him say the 5th battalion. He's on a WO casualty list in Sept 1918  so he was wounded with the tanks in July/August 1918, for the 4th time, he was already wounded twice during the Gallipoli campaign with the Royal Scots and once in France attached to the Cameroonians, but again only tank corps is noted.

If any body could throw some light on it for me I'd appreciate it

Kev

Edited by kev1874

Lance Corporal 95600 Tank Corps

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5780738

29/09/1915 - Listed as "Wounded" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office from 29th September 1915. - This man was entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being met by their naming in this list.

Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) 5th Battalion (Territorial Force)

War Office Daily List No.5661 - 04/09/1918 - Entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being met by being named in this list. NoK address Edinburgh.

21/09/1916 - Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment), Attached Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) - Listed as "Wounded" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office. This man was entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of the 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being met by their naming in this list.

Edited by HTSCF Fareham

Thanks I've found all them, he also appears on a WO casulty list June 1915 and who I think is him is mentioned in the local lothian newspaper edition as being twice wounded at gallipoli on FMP.

It's the tank corps service I'm interested in atm, I've managed to locate the relevant WD's for Gallipoli, is it possible to tell which battalion or possibly even tank he served with in France and Flanders? 

• Admin
4 hours ago, kev1874 said:

Hello,

I'm trying to find out which a few thing about Thomas service if anybody could help me please.

From what I've found out so far he was a territorial but could any body tell me when he would have joined? His service number with the 5th Royal Scots was 1864 and he lived in Edinburgh as far as I know.

1863 Wilson enlisted 5th Bn Royal Scots 8th April 1914 at Edinburgh.

1864 - ?

1865 Fairlie enlisted in the 5th Bn. Royal Scots on the 15 April 1914 at Edinburgh.  

Interestingly Fairlie was aged 17 years and 1 month on enlistment, which was legitimate for the TF, but signed the Imperial Obligation in September 1914.  He went with the Battalion to the Dardanelles and was kia in June.  Another under age soldier killed.

Can’t add much to the Tank Corps.