Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IDENTIFICATION

Guest JIM EDWARDS

Guest JIM EDWARDS

Thanks to all. Had done the cleanup myself with the aid of Photoshop (what a superb progam that is) but I thought it best to post the photo "warts & all" in case I obliterated some minute detail that you experts would have found essential. Must say tho' johnreed's cleanup is better than mine. Has anyone comments to make about the uniform; I seem to remember earlier identification parades where dress and other acoutriments? had clues to type of occupation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JIM EDWARDS

A download from the Medal Card Index attached, gives his Service number and other details that someone may be able to interpret. The things that intrigue are:

X Cpl - What does that mean? The format of the Card which is different to the others. Family legend says that he was taken prisoner after being wounded, would that have anything to do with it, ie card added later after repatriation?

post-1-1109807463.jpg

I have been had by this one before.

The X has dots in the junctions you will find, this makes it into an asterisk. The asterisk will cross reference to one of the medals and that means he earned that particular medal as a corporal.

I think you will find all this if you look closely as the posting is a bit small to make out, for my eyesight anyway.

I would suggest a larger picture if you can.

Regds

The X with dots in the points is actually an indication that the information next to it (rank, regiment for example) is an indication as to how the medal will be named.

Guest JIM EDWARDS

That answers the "X Cpl". Has anyone an equally definative answer to the format of the card itself, headed 1914-15 which is completely different to all others that I have seen. On another related track: he was living in Bristol at the time he volunteered, how come he joined DCLI? Would his service number (18299) give any indication of his unit within the DCLI?