Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daniel Hickey 6976

Rebecca

I have no military background and have trouble understanding a lot of the terminology. He rejoined unit 30.1.18 and was gassed 13.3.18

He was a Sapper /Miner in 1st Tunnelling Coy.  I am unable to find any reference to 1st Tunnelling Coy after 1917.

We would like to know where he was stationed Jan-Mar 1918 please.

Our family never knew about Daniel until we found an old Photo and worked from there for information.  Daniel was born 1889 Co. Wexford Ireland and died PNG 30 Oct 1951.

All help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks 

Rebecca

Hickey 1.png

Hickey 2..png

• Admin

For terminology, have a read of the Long Long Trail website which will help your understanding of a Soldiers life.

Michelle

Great thanks Michelle.   I already have his service record.  I will have a look at the long long  trail website.   From his records I don't think he had it very easy.. and we know very little of his life afterward.  He had a 4yr old that died shortly before he enlisted and that was his only child.     The photo we have of him  is with his 3 sisters who were living in co. Wex.   We can only assume he met with them when he went Awol or when he was hospitalised 2nd time.  Again thanks for your help.  Reb.

on the B103 form 2.2.18 - blue Chevron.    Would the chevron have been sewn on within a few days or would it have been left for longer.   The photo of him has no obvious chevron.   Intially we though the photo was taken when he was hospitalised from Gas, but now we are wondering due to lack of Chevron if photo was taken when he went Awol in Southampton in 1917.   Apologies for all the questions.    Reb