Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Button Identifications needed

worlygigger

I'm intrigued to know what type of uniform this button might have fallen off. Home Guard? ARPs? Suffolk Regiment? The button was found in someone's back garden in our village and local people want to know....

And then there were two! Someone has informed me of another button found in a meadow. It looks very similar to the first.

I'd be grateful for any help in identifying these interesting artefacts.

Button.jpg

Button 2.jpeg

General service button any soldier could have been issued it.

Edited by themonsstar

7 minutes ago, worlygigger said:

I'm intrigued to know what type of uniform this button might have fallen off. Home Guard? ARPs? Suffolk Regiment? The button was found in someone's back garden in our village and local people want to know....

And then there were two! Someone has informed me of another button found in a meadow. It looks very similar to the first.

I'd be grateful for any help in identifying these interesting artefacts.

Button.jpg

Button 2.jpeg

It’s a General Service button. 

Edit. Themonsstar types faster than I. 

Edited by GWF1967

So anyone in a uniform would have these buttons, apart from officers? Would this be WW1 or WW2 or either?

20 hours ago, worlygigger said:

So anyone in a uniform would have these buttons, apart from officers? Would this be WW1 or WW2 or either?

They were introduced around 1871 to be worn by ranks below officer in all infantry of the line, less the Rifle regiments, who had their own equivalent in black bone (it was a cost neutral compensation to cover the introduction of regimental collar badges).  Several service support corps also wore them, but not the Guards, cavalry, artillery, or engineers. Around 1924 regimental buttons were adopted again and the GS button fell out of use.  Your finding them in a field probably relates to WW1 training camps.

Edited by FROGSMILE