Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Nolan - 5591, Connaught Rangers

GJW

Hi again,

I am having trouble locating the above in that regiment. Both FMP and Ancestry make reference to it. Nolan was KIA in 1917 with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. I have contacted the Connaught Rangers Association, a pretty good outfit for information, and they have no record of him. He was from Castledermot, Co. kildare, Ireland.

Just on the hope that someone on this can link him in.

Cheers,

Gerard

His actual number was 3/5591 when he was serving with Connaught Rangers.as shown on his MIC

Thank you Tony. I did try search witht that number and still came up blank. I think it may only suggest 3rd battalion although medal roll seems to say 6th Batt. 

Gerard

Edited by GJW
ommission

We have eventually found his name on the 'star roll'. I dont know if this will help find his service with them? Also does (2b) reflect Gallipoli? If so does that mean he was with the 5th Batt. CR at this point ?

Thanks,

Gerard

image.png.b1194a375d3ea561dfd6c5a5770c3727.png

Yes,  2 (b) Gallipoli and Aegean Islands

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/how-to-interpret-a-campaign-medal-index-card/medal-roll-theatre-codes/

and 5th were the only Rangers Bn on Gallipoli. However, as his entry date was 22/09/15 and the 5th Bn left Gallipoli at the end of September, he is unlikely to have spent much time if any there.

I have spent many hours searching for 5th Bn Service records and very rarely have I found anything. I have always assumed that they were entirely destroyed in the Blitz. Those that I have found have been the records of men who were transferred, so you might get luck given that your man was with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

The Irish Times, Monday 11 December 1916 has 'Nolan, 43147 J. (Castledermot)', Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, wounded.

Thank you A. There is no file (just Effects and Medal Rools - PRC) for this man in any regiment unfortunately. Just trying to make sense of his previous service with CR and you have done that. I have a few paper articles on him - including a nice piece from his commanding officer to his mother but nothing else of consequence.

Gerard

Do you know how he got from 5th Connaught Rangers in Salonica to 8th Inniskillings in F& F? Could be he was a reservist and his time expired so he re-inlisted. Or perhaps he was wounded with Connaught's and shipped home, recovered and assigned to 8th Inniskillings. Just speculation and there are of course other possible scenarios. You mentioned 6th Connaught's on a medal roll. If this was the case then this is another possible route to F&F.

Edited by archangel9

Hi Gerard,

His 3/5591 Connaught Rangers number would appear to date from April 1915.

3/5644 Rooney - attested, posted 3rd Bn 1.4.1915

3/5667 Caulfield - attested, posted 3rd Bn 8.4.1915

3/5668 Delaney - attested, posted 3rd Bn 8.4.1915

3/5591

3/5607 Marklew - attested, posted 3rd Bn 24.4.1915

3/5633 Donelan - attested, posted 3rd Bn 24.4.1915

3/5635 Fitzpatrick - attested, posted 3rd Bn 24.4.1915

His medal roll record shows:

image.png.6761d6e41e62173694f7ba5a07c2cf5e.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

There are some records for a couple of near-ish number Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers men which show:

43170 McDonnell -  transferred in France from 4/Connaught Ranges to 8/Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers on 26.8.1916

43183 McQuade  -  transferred in France from 5/Connaught Rangers to 8/Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers on 26.8.1916

The war diary of 8/Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers for August 1916 shows:

image.png.47dca086af1bd4f9c054dbbcc03d867d.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

Might James have been one of the 96?

Regards

Chris

Cheers Chris and A. This is very helpful to me in putting together a picture of this man. This man's CR record is all over the shop. Obviously he started with 3rd Reserve Battalion, looks like he showed up in Turkey with the 5th. His BWM roll suggests the 6th batt. I have him with the Skins at the backend of 1916. See attached.

Gerard

N-LT 16-12-1916.PNG

Was this man J. Delaney by any chance as mentioned in the newspaper clip on last message?

image.png.c8b9694a33c3c71fcdb047ead08e8869.png

On 07/06/2020 at 22:45, GJW said:

Was this man J. Delaney by any chance as mentioned in the newspaper clip on last message?

image.png.c8b9694a33c3c71fcdb047ead08e8869.png

Delaney, 43188 J. (Crettyard, Queen's Co.) was also in The Times list of wounded. The nearest match I can find in the MIC is 

Medal card of Delaney, James
Corps    Regiment No    Rank
Connaught Rangers    6358    Corporal
Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers    43228    Corporal

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2152048

If this is the same man he died 01/09/1918,

Aged 26

"D" Coy. 1st Bn.
Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Son of Mary Delaney, of Balladin, Abbeyleix, Leix, and the late Thomas De Laney.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/199089/delaney,-james/

Cheers A. Appreciate the leg work on that. I will check it out.

Gerard