Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Case Powder rectangular | help needed

Yves

Hello,

I'm making a 3D view of  case powder rectangular. (page 124, fig 21, treatise on ammunition, 1915)

I haven't all informations about this case powder (and have never seen in reel, so can't find).

some questions :

Bumps are inside (in direction of the center of the case) or outside ?

The treatise of ammunition said it's in corrugated brass, is it like the 3D view ? or red brass ? or may be somebody have a photo ?

If somebody have a case f powder like this, please, can you show me the door to load and unload powder ?

Many thanks for your help.

Yves

casier_à-poudre.png

case_powder_page124_fig21.jpg

If I understand well, a single bolt to unscrew (in the center of the arm ) and the case powder is open.

casier_à-poudre.png

Edited by Yves
Change better image

• Admin

Bonjour Yves, this looks good. I have never seen one but I would guess the brass should be yellow, the same as a shell case. Corrugations look correct. Et voila!! You have made one. Regards, Bob.

• Admin
6 hours ago, Yves said:

If I understand well, a single bolt to unscrew (in the center of the arm ) and the case powder is open

Hi Yves, after some searching this is the only container I have found so far. I found this one on ebay. Maybe you you have seen it?  Regards, Bob. https://www.ebay.fr/itm/WW1-container-a-poudre-d-artillerie-militaire-ondule-etanche-en-laiton-/273505344067

Merci Captain :)

It's a good, make me happy.

I've changed the ring shell (transport), will change the texture of the ring later ( I think it's in cast iron |"fonte" in french | and not in steel ).

The container is hard to find in photo. May be usual on the front, but unusual on internet. (Followed the link to ebay and make some search, found on a french forum : une caisse à poudre Mle 1924 et à munitions confectionnées (gargousses)

So, I have new question, at the beginning i was persuated that the container was for "munitions confectionnées (gargousses)". (may be the translation is "cartridge" -> a bag with powder or something like this to lauch the shell)

But now, if i see the size of the shell and the hole of the container, i don't really know what's in the container. May be only powder, can somebody give me more informations ?

Another questions : Close to here, there is a cemetery in Fricourt, I've seen a memorial to navy soldiers (Artillery i think).

So, may be on the front, some weapons or ammunitions are used by navy.

On the British treatise on ammunition, it's wroten : "All packages for Naval Service containing explosives or explosive stores have two reds bands painted round them."

On the front, in a shell depot, if i make a scene with some containers like this, and some with 2 red bands, is it credible ?

Finally, i need advices about text that i want to put on this image.

It's about caliber of shells.

In France, if i said "Obus de 75" or "Obus de 75mm", everybody understand.

But i'm confused about british shell.

Do you refer to caliber or canon ?

Exemple, a 60 Pr shell is equal to 5 inch (don't blame me if i make mistakes)

So, i have wroten "Obus 5 inch", but may be it's not exact, may be i  have to write 5 In, or 60 Pr, or something other ?

Addenda, for the container, i've converted the dimensions in mm. Because it's not a weapon, i've rounded the dimensions (ex : 25.1 inches(?) converted to millimeter is 637,54mm rounded to 637mm, not putted symbol approx ).

I beg your pardon if i've make some mistakes, asking today for don't repeat these mistakes later.

And sorry for my bad english spoken, written, ...

Encore un très grand merci à Bob Davies.

casier_à-poudre_informations.png

Yves,

Addenda, for the container, i've converted the dimensions in mm. Because it's not a weapon, i've rounded the dimensions (ex : 25.1 inches(?) converted to millimeter is 637,54mm rounded to 637mm, not putted symbol approx  ).

The convention is that 637,49 (and lower) would be rounded to 637 mm whereas 637,50 (and higher) would be rounded to 638 mm.

I beg your pardon if i've make some mistakes, asking today for don't repeat these mistakes later.

And sorry for my bad english spoken, written, ...

Rest assured that your "bad English" is 1,000 times better than the "bad French" of 99.9% of us members of GWF!!

Regards,

JMB

Sorry that I do not have the knowledge to answer your questions, but the Artillery experts on here will know.

EDIT: That is a very crisp and clean presentation!!

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

Bonjour JMB,

Merci beaucoup pour votre message.

I have changed the rounded dimensions. (Sorry for the mistake).

I have not updated the image because i wait about shells calibers informations. But will do immediatly after.

And many thanks about appreciation. I appreciate particularly when it came from somebody for who each details is important. Thanks to have EDIT.

Amicalement

Yves