Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J.R. GAUNT brandings (again !)

7t2ndswinger

All,

I picked up this badge yesterday (Staffs Yeomanry) as a reference piece due to the unusual (to me at least) branding. I've seen similar before but never one with LTD. I bought the badge thinking it may have been a WW1 brass economy which would firmly date it to 1916-18 but after reading up, it appears to have been produced in both whitemetal and gilt, so it's the latter. It's a good solid badge, the slider is very strong and the lettering very deeply stamped. Has anyone seen this branding before?

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

I have only one badge with this brand on. It is an anodised aluminium cap badge for the proposed the Hants and Glostershire Regt whose badges were made in 1969 but never worn when the amalgamation did not happen. This fact dates it to 1969 precisely but I have not seen it on any other badge before or after that date.

;) This has the appearance{IMO} of the Guant Badges Produced by the New Owners of the Company after its Sale in the 1970s,when they started to sell "Re~Strikes" of Previously struck Gaunt Badges that flood the Marketplace today;I hope it didnt cost you too much!

I'm not too happy with this one, either.

Too clean.

Perhaps someone out there should settle down to researching stamped sliders. It seems to be a minefield.

Graeme

Harry & Graeme

Total agreement. First off, no it didn't cost much, I bought is solely as a reference piece for the stamping and only because of the LTD which to me is unique. I'd like to get involved on some sort enquiry into the stamping debate. I'm happy to scan any I have by different manufacturers and varieties by the same. Anyone else interested ?

Keith