Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemeteries and Memorials

tonycad

This is the grave of Rifleman V.J. Strudwick, aged as shown 15, buried at Essex Farm Cemetery.

It is difficult to grasp how a fifteen year old got through the volunteering process, and ended up in the front-line with the Rifle Braigade.

Has anyone researched this soldier.

He must have been nearer 14 when he first joined up.

There must be a fascinating background to the story.

Tony

post-19-1108675385.jpg

SDGW says;

Joe STRUDWICK

Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own)

8th Battalion

Killed in Action France & Flanders

14th January 1916

Born in Dorking, Surrey

Enlisted in Lambeth, Surrey

Resided in Croyden, Surrey

The 8th (S) Battalion was formed at Winchester on the 21st August 1914.

Part of the 14th (Light) Division, 41st Brigade.

Throughout the War this Division lost over 37,000 Killed, Wounded or Missing.

Regards

James

The CWGC Debt of Honour describes Rifleman Strudwick as one of the youngest casualties of WW1.

He was born in the first quarter of 1900, and as he was killed on 14 January 1916 he must have been born between 1 January an 13 January 1900.

He must have been killed a few days before his 16th birthday.

Incredible.

Does this make sense.

Tony

He was born in the first quarter of 1900, and as he was killed on 14 January 1916 he must have been born between 1 January an 13 January 1900.

He must have been killed a few days before his 16th birthday.

Tony,

My information is slightly different.

Yes, he was born in the first quarter (Jan - Feb - March 1900), but I am not sure I understand why the conclusion is, as he was not 16 yet when he died, that he was born between 1 and 13 Jan. 1900. Wouldn't one expect he was born after 14 January instead ?

Indeed he was born on 14 Feb 1900, Valentine's Day, and that is why his first name was Valentine.

He was killed one month before his 16th birthday. So he was 15 years and 11 months.

Aurel

Interestingly in several issues of the Ypres Times, the journal of the Ypres League, Strudwick is always credited as being the youngest soldier to die in the war.

My old geography teacher, who first told Strudwick's full story in a schools book about Ypres in c.1982, made contact with the family who were still living in Dorking in the 1970s and 80s. They said Valentine was a big farm hand who easily passed for a much older man.

Paul,

I have the same information (but don't remember where I got it from) : "V.J. Strudwick was a wartime volunteer. He was a farmhand of tall and well built stature, who easily passed about his age when he joined up ca. 1915.

I must say : "That don't impress me much". (Despite my age, I am a Shania Twain fan ;) ) I have read the same about you-know-who, and this was certainly not backed up by the army records. As far as I know V.J. Strudwick's no longer exist. I think "tall and well built stature" is one of those things that were easily "invented" afterwards, somehow anticipating the question or criticism : How is it possible that a child etc... And the tought "maybe he was ..." easily was turned into : "he must have been ..." and then "he was ..."

And if anyone is interested, Census 1901 :

Father Jesse, 38, gardener

Mother Louisa, 33, laundress

Alice, 15, laundry maid

Jesse, 9, scholar

Florence, 4, scholar

Joe, 1

(Somehow however there is some doubt, since elsewhere (don't know where) a George Frederick is mentioned too, born 9 June 1898.)

Aurel

The History of The Rifle Brigade 1914 - 1918, Volume 1 1914 - 16 has this to say of this time.

The Seventh, Eighth and Ninth Battalions in the 14th (Light) Division continued to hold their trenches in the Saint Jean Sector of Ypres. On the 13th of January Colonel V.O. Ulrich Thynne(D.S.O.), of the Wiltshire Yeomanry, relieved Major C.H.N. Seymour (KRRC) in command of the Eighth.

The strenuous character of the trench warfare in the Salient at this time may be judged from the casualties of the three battalions during the month of January, just under two hundred all told, of which fully twenty five per cent were killed.

This, with no actions in this month of January 1916 for these three battalions.

Andy