Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield Field Walking Advice

MDPMicahDominicParsons

Hello everyone,

I have been a keen visitor to The Old Somme Battlefields and I wanted to request support in requesting permission on walking a piece of land where my Great Grandfather fought and died. I have been privileged to perform as a guest soloist in Assevillers where my Great Grandfather, Henry Nichols is buried and following this concert, I wrote to the local marie to request help and support but I am unsure if my letter (written in French) ever reached this destination.

I commissioned a graphic recreation of the trench map around this area and I would give anything to walk those fields which I have researched from the past few years instead of viewing them from afar.

The piece of land which I want to walk on is opposite La Maisonette and I would feel much better requesting the official owners permission rather than trespassing. I wondered if anyone had any advice or support to help me in this issue? I hope that when this period is all over that I shall be able to return to France to these hallowed grounds.

Many Thanks

Micah Dominic Parsons

10 hours ago, MicahDominicParsons said:

The piece of land which I want to walk on is opposite La Maisonette and I would feel much better requesting the official owners permission rather than trespassing. I wondered if anyone had any advice or support to help me in this issue? I hope that when this period is all over that I shall be able to return to France to these hallowed grounds.

The following 2 websites may help.  From the first you can obtain the number of the parcel of land in which you are interested.  The second has more information and the section on ownership translates as; "To find the owner of a cadastral parcel in Assevillers, use the map above to find the desired parcel, then click on it. In the left window, click on the button "Who is the owner?", Then complete the request form for extract of cadastral matrix. We will then ask the Assevillers town hall for you to obtain the documents, it is a right and the town hall is not able to refuse your request."

https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte

https://france-cadastre.fr/cadastre/assevillers

Hello Don,

Thank you so much for this resource. I have started to fill out my requests for permission to contact the land owners. This really does mean a lot to me. I am just a normal individual with a special interest in this place and I really hope that I will be able to get some response from this.

Thank you so much for your help.

Micah Dominic Parsons

• 4 weeks later...

good luck!!

If you need letters translated into good French for the authorisations, don't hesitate to ask!!

M.

Hello Don,

I put an application in around two weeks ago so I am still waiting for further news but any updates I get, I shall post them here. I am really hoping to have some success with this.

Many Thanks,

Micah