Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pétain - any biography recommendations

TimSlater

I'm looking for a balanced biography on Pétain. I've noted the comments on the the biography written by Charles Williams and will probably give that a miss. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Tim, I have a book called 'Petain's Crime' by Paul Webster which was first published in 1990 but has been updated since. Obviously, as the title suggests, it is not a full biography of the man as it is very much concerned with the Vichy years, but was good enough to be a 'holiday read' about ten years ago.

Good luck with your search.

If you read French the weighty work by Bénédicte Vergez-Chaignon has been much praised, though I have yet to read it. It is included in this list of 53 books on the subject

https://www.babelio.com/liste/9029/Philippe-Petain-Gloire-Mythe-Trahison

Cheers Martin B

Tim. I can’t find the comments on Charles Williams biography on Petain. Just wondering what they are as I’ve got the book on my to read pile. 

Nigel

Maxi, thanks I'll have a look at the reviews.

Martin, I suspect my french would not be up to the task for the work by Bénédicte Vergez-Chaignon, however I shall have a look at some of the other books in the list thank you.

Nigel, my reservations on the biography written by Charles Williams came from here: 

However, having re-read the post I realize it refers to the review rather than the book!

Tim, thank you. I’ll make time to read the book in due course. I seem to be reading a lot more books than I normally do at the moment! I’ll put it nearer the top of the pile.Thanks again.

Lucy Delarue

Lucie was a famous poetess, known as Lucie Delarue-Mardrus at first/ Later she got a divorce and had a nujmber of love affairs with women.

It seems that Petain once offered marriage to her when she was young.

Can anynone find evidence in the biographies?

Fred

I haven’t read Petain yet but there’s no reference to her in the index. I’ve looked up Lucie and apparently she had a quite interesting life involving men and women! Still no mention of Petain.

Thank you, Nigel.

Yes, a very interesting life and a major poet. And a beautiful model for painters and photographers. I thought it very unlikely that Pétain offered marriage. He often got what he wanted without proposing.

Fred