Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lunch or dinner?

johnboy

I believe they are men of the 52nd (Pixelated) Battalion, of the Devonshire Regiment.

Motto: Nos Sumus Difficile Agnoscis

well Broomers

for a start I have no idea what  GDPR is :w00t:

Or a pencil-necked desk jockey ?

as for MY fuzzing these brave hungry chaps,I have no clue about copyright so silly billy me thought if I"fuzz"their faces every one happy again silly billy me

As for 52nd Devonshire reg, IPT I forgot what some  clever GWF members are :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, BIFFO said:

well Broomers

for a start I have no idea what  GDPR is :w00t:

Or a pencil-necked desk jockey ?

as for MY fuzzing these brave hungry chaps,I have no clue about copyright so silly billy me thought if I"fuzz"their faces every one happy again silly billy me

As for 52nd Devonshire reg, IPT I forgot what some  clever GWF members are :thumbsup:

My apologies, then; you're better at this IT business than me.

I assume it's an IWM photo; I've certainly seen it many times before. (Unfuzzed)

Yes Broomers as you say like you I have seen the tommies more times than I could shake a stick at you,silly billy me trying to keep every one happy.

So ok you still havent explained GDPR or pencil necked desk jockey,I presume the latter to be a person who sits at a desk and know every thing ?,

well old chap as can be seen by my many pleads for help I  know nowt

covid thumb.png

You're right about the pencil necked desk jockey, but you've never heard of GDPR? Seriously? You lucky man.

I'm not 100% sure what the letters stand for, but it is, in essence, a set of regulations drawn up, ostensibly to protect people's personal; data but in reality to create huge amounts of fannying about for anyone trying to do a job, while at the same time creating more work for ... you guessed it ... pencil-necked desk jockeys.

It might stand for General Data Protection Regulations, but don't quote me. I sat through dozens of meetings on the subject but never actually had the nerve to ask what GDPR stood for.

As a young subaltern on a course made up of YOs and Sergeants/WOs, the officers and other ranks meal thing caused a lot of hassle!  When it was suggested we work through, to maximise practical work, there was practically a mutiny.  The “compromise” was that the NCOs and WOs would finish and go for their tea and return at 1800.  We would work until about 1930...then rush to the mess to see what was left.  Usually very little.  The privileges of rank...

Regulation, singular, rather than Regulations I believe.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Displusys said:

The distinction between "lunch" and "dinner" can sometimes blur, especially when considering historical or cultural contexts. While traditionally, "lunch" refers to the midday meal and "dinner" to the evening meal, there are regions and circumstances where these terms interchange.

Indeed.  Not in British Army protocols though.  

On 30/05/2020 at 11:34, Moonraker said:

It is interesting to note that in 2003 a British soldier was reckoned to need between 3,700 and 4,200 calories per day. 

Seems about right - my recollection from BAOR days was a yellow cardboard box of 8 Herforder Pils, at 150 calories a bottle, would make up about a quarter of that.

Back to reality: Breakfast, Dinner and Tea as evidenced by calls to meals announced by the Duty Piper in most Highland Regiments e.g. 'Brose and Butter' (Breakfast Pipes), 'O'er the Water to Charlie' (Dinner Pipes) and 'Jenny's Bawbee' (Tea Pipes).  The tunes vary between different regiments but the sequence of delivery and the meal on the hot plate remains the same. Different tunes for Officers Dinner are also mentioned although there dosn't appear to be anything specific to announce officers Tea and Marmite loaded toast at 1600hrs.