Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"R.H. Harrison" - 36th Coy R.E. Sierra Leone. Help Please

GWF1967

I have to disagree with the description I'm afraid. Mechanist SM's were, as the name describes, was involved mainly with mechanical and electrical engineering. In Gibratar for instance , there was on the RE Establishment, a Mechanist SM (Machinery ) and in various other ranks Mechanist (Electrical), Mechanist (Instrument Repairer)  and Mechanist (Engine Driver).

In Sierra Leonne in 1911 there was one Mechanist SM (Machinery) who is not our man.     With regards to the trades mentioned above, they were the province of the Foremen of Works in such units.

With regard to the original question;  we are unable to pin down R H "Bob" Harrison so everything is speculation at the moment.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

54 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

everything is speculation at the moment.

The identity of Bob Harrison is indeed speculation.

The 1911 reference is to a Sapper plumber of that name on the Brompton Barracks census, I don't think it was suggested that he was in Sierra Leone in 1911.

Max

Max

It seems to me that this is a matter of elimination, that is why I have mentioned the 1911census as well as clearing up the role of Mechanist SM.  There is no evidence to show he was, other than a medal index card of a man with a similar name. Indeed there is no evidence at the moment to show that he served in WW1 which I guess is the name of the game. He may also have been an officer.

To clear up the WW1 issue, we need to find someone who is on the Sierra Leone 36 Coy supplementary roll which I mentioned earlier. 

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

On the premise of him not serving in ww1 I had a look at the 1901 Census for Robert H b.1850-1890 to see what they were working at.

Not many of them but a few metal/wood bashers showed up

The 3rd chap Robert Henry Dodsworth from Shildon was still a civilian in 1911, but the 2nd Robert Henry from Gainsboro' does not appear on the 1911 as far as I can see, died 1939 Gainsboro'.

228525684_Screenshot2020-06-02at15_12_42.png.7d304abae45aee5c102909320d86223f.png

Elimination - 1914/1915 Star roll Col 4/3 pages 1-9 has no Harrison, indeed it has but two obviously European names.

The BW and V roll is Col 172 B pages 1-19 WO 329/2329 - no Harrison.

Max

Edited by MaxD

That said, there are other 36 Coy RE men whose medal are on other rolls presumably because they started off somewhere else (certainly applies in at least one case who was in France to start with).

Puzzle pieces, no picture on the box.

Max

Many thanks to all for your contributions. 

• 6 months later...

I am researching all the officers and NCOs of 350th Electrical & Mechanical Co, R.E. who are in the attached photo dated March 1919

There is a list of names including S/Sgt H G Harrison. - he is standing, second row, far left

Could this be the same man?

350th E&M 1919.1.jpg