Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

64165 Dr Albert William Faulkner L Battery Royal Horse Artillery

I am new to this forum but hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a Christmas card dated 1914, from Dr A.W. Faulkner L Battery R.A. He was a relative of my mother and I am trying to find some information about him.

I understand that sometimes civilian doctors were given an honorary military rank. Where can I find out more about him.

Thanks for any help

F.

I think this will be Driver Albert William Faulkner [service number 64165] Royal Horse Artillery. I can't see many records surviving but his Artillery Attestation record survives [he reenlisted after the war]  and show he was wounded 1/9/1914.. he came from  Busbridge Godalming Surrey, enlisted 2/2/1911.. will have served - and been wounded - in the famous action at Nery.. for which 3 men of his battery won the VC..   L Battery lost 23men  killed and 31 wounded that morning..

he will be in this photo

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205047835

- after his wound he looks to have returned to France in 1916-1917-1918,

Edited by battiscombe

• Admin

If he re enlisted after the war and served post 1922, his records will he held by the MOD and can be applied for. I’m not sure how one does this. @DavidOwen can help with details hopefully.

Michelle 

10 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

If he re enlisted after the war and served post 1922, his records will he held by the MOD and can be applied for.

Yes he is in the index of MoD held records per Ancestry

A W Faulkner 23 Dec 1892 Army Other Ranks, Discharges for 1921-1939 1031306

Thank you all for your speedy replies and very helpful information.

I made a beginners fundamental mistake assuming Dr. was doctor instead of considering driver !

Faulkner 

• spof changed the title to 64165 Dr Albert William Faulkner L Battery Royal Horse Artillery