Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23rd London Bn insignia & medal

simonpg

Due to my interest in the 25th County Of London Cyclist Bn. a Spanish medal collector sent me photos of a medal on which he wanted more information.

H. S. Wynnes would appear to be Herbert Scott Wynnes possibly born 1908. So not a Great War soldier but there are some questions that are applicable to the war which I am hoping can also be cleared up.

Firstly in is apparent that the sender misread the medal as it is actually the 23rd London Bn. Secondly I can't identify the medal ribbon so I presume it is a 23rd Bn issue for some achievement. I am hoping someone can help in that regard. The only other example of this medal I found was on this page :-

https://rememberourdeadregimentallist.weebly.com/23rd-battalion-london-regiment.html

Secondly is the insignia. On the forum previously is this comment :-

"Prior to the formation of the London Regiment in 1908, the 23 London Regiment was the 4th Volunteer Battalion, East Surrey Regiment. Due to the stress of the war in July 1916 the various battalions of the London Regiment resumed their pre 1908 regular affiliations but with no change (with a couple of exceptions) of unit titles."

My badge book has the East Surrey insignia for the 23rd Londons, however the CWGC uses the crossed swords on its memorials. 
On the Wikipedia page for the Easy Surrey Rgt is says :-

"The regiment was also assigned its own 4th Volunteer Battalion, which later became 23rd (County of London) Battalion in the London Regiment."
So it looks like only a part of the East Surry Rgt became the 23rd London, perhaps then assuming the crossed swords?

The second part is the inscription on the reverse. Dawney Bowl brings up virtually no results on Google. Can anyone shed any light on that?

23rd London - front.jpg

23rd London - reverse.jpg

Edited by simonpg

The medal ribbon is the Territorial Efficiency Medal ribbon.

The London Regiment was a Territorial Force County regiment formed in 1908. There are no regular battalions in it. The East Surrey Regiment had both regular and Territorial Force Battalions. In 1916 the 23/Bn London Regiment became part of the East Surrey Regiment, not the other way round.

Dawnay (not Dawney as you have typed) is a school in Surrey. The spelling Sec. Lieut. is unusual. The normal military spelling would be 2/Lt.

Hope this assists.