Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Four in a Row

fellop

A query if I may about CWGC Graves.

Whilst researching one of my local men, 21/332 TH Corner 18 Bn DLI KIA 30 Sept 1918, I discover that he is buried in Lancashire Cottage Cemetery.

He is buried in a row of four graves as follows.

Pte H Iredale 18 Bn DLI KIA 1 October 1918 Grave 3.E.1

Pte Grounsell 18 Bn DLI LIA 29 September 1918 Grave 3.E.2

Pte Shard 18 Bn DLI KIA 30 September 1918 Grave 3.E.3

Lcpl Corner 18 Bn DlI KIA 30 September 1918 Grave 3.E.4

[photo shows the row of four graves in the top right corner]

Now these graves headstones are not touching but however neither are they what appears to me [anyway] to be spaced apart as I would expect to see in a 'normal' row at a CWGC cemetery.

Apart from them all being the same battalion they did not die [well two of them did] on the same day. Is there some significance of them being close to together in one row of four? Or am I just overthinking this in some way.

Regards

Peter

thcg.jpg

• Admin

It usually means they were buried together in a limited space/trench, i.e. in a corner of the cemetery.  According to Graves Registration, each had a cross so it seems when placing the headstones they had to fit in the space.

It looks like they were the last to be interred here. A search on CWGC from 2/10 to 1/12 gives nil return.

Ken

I can see no logic in the way cemeteries have their headstones planted. Some down to space, others have gaps where others could be. as in my previous post at Hermies, we saw them on the day of burial and since then the headstones have been butted against each other. plenty of room at the start of a new row. there are obviously a few that have been removed for burial elsewhere Longuenesse being a large hospital base have multiple headstones side by side with dual names but not all same dates, With Lancashire cottage, was room a problem and were they all saved up to be buried side by side on the same day rather than consecutive days to save labour time and an open multi grave could be orientated to "best fit" the plot.

obviously the East-West orientation is/was not a consideration, even at base hospitals on large fields such as Etaples.

My thanks to both Chaz and Ken for their replies. Interesting point that Ken makes re no other additions between 2/10 and 1/12.

Yes perhaps, they were all the same Battalion, 'saved up' that sounds terrible, and all four were placed where space permitted on this occasion.

Anyway thanks again to both.

Regards

Peter