Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme Medal

Chris

Hi all

Can one of the medal experts help me please. Whilst looking at a photo of a 5th Lincs veteran from the 60's with his son, we noticed that next to his trio was another medal that neither of us knew. All the family know is it was given to the soldier in the late50's or 60's and was awarded by the French. It was accompanied by a letter which reads:

Association: Ceux De La Somme

28 Mars 1956

Medaille Commemorative des Batailles de la Somme

La Medaille Commemorative des Batailles de la Somme 1914-1918 et 1940 a ete conferee a ... soldiers details then inserted by hand..... pour sa belle conduite dans les Combats auxquets il a pris part dans ce Sectour.

I get the jist of the text but can anyone tell me exactly why it was awarded, who to, the entitlement criteria etc.

Kind regards

Chris

post-23-1108646581.jpg

Hi,It is an unofficial Commemorative Medal Presented to Veterans who joined the Ceux de la Somme Association,hence that title on the accompanying letter,very similar to the Medals available today for Veterans of Just About Everything!{@ a Price!}I suspect that they too had to buy it & it would not have been allowed to wear in uniform,or for that matter with Official Medals,There were other similar Veterans awards for the Somme,namely the Belgian 'Albert' Cross

As stated by Harry it is an unofficial medal and was purchased from the Ceaux de la Somme Association based in Peronne at a cost of £1.3 shillings (£1.30p today). Full service particulars had to accompany the application, which was announced in June 1965. The Belgian medal cost £1.

Charlie

Some veterans I knew who had this said they had been presented with the medal during the 50th anniversary in 1966. Perhaps they didn't sell very well, and a local association/authority bought some and gave them out? Or were the vets giving me some 'bull'?!

Cheers all

Thanks for all the replies and information. Following your replies i spoke with the son of the veteran concerned again this evening and he is really chuffed with the information. Just for your interest he goes with Pauls theory that his father was given it rather than applied for it.

Thanks again

Chris

I hate to be picky - mm, no I don't. £1.3s equates to £1.15p

How I miss the old money

• 13 years later...

Hopefully this thread can be activated again, I have one of these certificates from my Great Grandfather. His medal card said 2nd essex, however on the 1956 certificate it said 10th Essex. Which is correct? We know he entered service with the 2nd Essex. 

Hello, I have one these certificates for my Great Grandfather (dated 1956). His medal card shows 2nd Essex but the certificate says 10th Essex. Which would be more accurate?  Did he have to sign up for this association or was it given to him? His name is Albert George Blain (Soldier no. 16020).

Thank you for your help. 

JMakoul,

if you can post your relative's name and regimental number, it might be possible for someone to check with which battalions he served overseas.  

Clive

His name is Albert George Blain 

soldier no: 16020

thank you! 

He seems to have enlisted November 1914,  landed in France March 1915 and served with the 2nd Essex (according to the index card -  in this case the full Roll doesn't say with which battalion(s) he served).  He was medically discharged because of wounds in September 1916.  

It's possible that his service or pension papers have survived.   By the way, I wonder if he's the man of the same name born St.Brides London 1884 who joined the Royal Navy as 212655 in December 1901 but bought himself out a month later in January 1902?  If so, a (brief) record exists.  

Clive

Thank you to all. Clive, I do know he was in the Boer War.  I heard a story that he ran away from home and enlisted at too young an age and that he was caught and shipped home...I wonder if that is what you are seeing! 

He joined the 6th Middlesex Militia in 1900 stating he was 17yrs 10 months. There is no record of discharge but it does state he had failed to attend training was presumably struck off their strength. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO96/0923/153/001&parentid=GBM/WO96/923/1481465

He then went on to the Navy in 1901 and was purchased out - https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO96/0923/153/001&parentid=GBM/WO96/923/1481465

He then joined up in 1914 for which a service record survives - https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO363-4/007265832/01887&parentid=GBM/WO363-4/7265832/140/1887

I think the Boer War era Militia Service and the Naval Service have been confused and merged in to a story of him being returned underage.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thank you, he apparently was also in the East Surrey Regiment in the Boer War...he must have liked to move around a bit!

I do have a photo of him in South Africa in the Boer War 

He was 31 in 1914 and had already served in the Boer War.  I see he enlisted in Sept. 1914 as a "special reservist" for one year service with the 7th East Surrey Regiment. However he applied to be discharged (pain in foot when marching) one month  later. Only then to re-enlist with the Second Essex. Sounds like he wanted to get to France and not be a reservist?.  This would be consistent with his personality. Am I misreading this wrong? 

Edited by JMakoul