Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Offer to Restore/ Recolour Photographs

sr97

Hi all,

With the current situation I have found myself with a lot of free time and am offering my services as a photo editor and retouch artist to see if anyone needs photographs of relatives or persons of interested repaired or recoloured. I am adept at using Photoshop and have experience in restoring old photographs, I can work from a picture of the photograph or even better, a scan. Either way please do not hesitate to get in touch if its something you would like.

Thank you so much for this - I am so impressed!  I wish I had been able to meet him but he died of war-related causes in 1938.  The Small Box Respirator, water canteen and SMLE looks so stunning in colour.  In the original scan his face is a bit washed out and contains scratches so you have done a remarkable job bringing that back to life.

image.png.c0f895875f83840a1a06c388a03ff517.png

Another great job by Stephen.

An unknown sailor brought back to life:

image.png.f3196a59c171202ddf7cde35189f20ba.pngimage.png.95ed765e7cbf44e56eeeeda45ab923ae.png

Here is a photo, of my Great Grandfather Albert Simpson who served with the 8th South Lancashire Regiment 

B48E4858-0500-4FC7-BFAE-930481310F81.jpeg

On 24/05/2020 at 14:44, sr97 said:

With the current situation I have found myself with a lot of free time and am offering my services as a photo editor and retouch artist

Wow, that is a very generous offer and really not one I think should be missed.

Would be great, and I would be most grateful, if you could have a go at this/these please.

Pte. JWC Bagshaw, TR/4/33436 - In training [Kinmel Park, I think] - 1917

937734649_BagshawJWCTR4334361917.jpg.04264f128f58426afef9fb971f8105b4.jpg

From the personal collection of Matlock1418

Sjt JWC Bagshaw 48026 , South Wales Borderers - Orderly Room Serjeant/Infantry Records Office, Shrewsbury - 1919

152669854_BAGSHAWJWC480261919.jpg.234006d729d4591c926e3b27da64900a.jpg

From the personal collection of Matlock1418

What a difference two/three years makes!

In great anticipation - Many thanks.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

Hi SR97

I'd be very grateful if you could please have a go at this one for me. It's a very crumpled postcard of my grandfather's platoon in A coy, 7th East Surreys taken at Bonnieres in November 1917 just before he went into action in the battle of Cambrai. He was taken prisoner on 30th November and must have had this postcard with him throughout his captivity. I've attached a scan of the whole postcard as it might be easier to work from but the bit I'm interested in is the bottom right corner where my grandfather is seated on the ground in the front row fourth from the right, as shown in the extract I've also attached. No need to do the whole postcard as I'm sure it will be far too much work. It was this card that sparked off my interest in researching his war service and WW1 generally so I'd very much like to see a better version of it. 

Many thanks

Phil

1715534581_7thBnEastSurreysPteWaller.JPG.9bec9445c2d3d5bfa8e774cb659f12ff.JPG1564901130_WW1pic3PteAWaller.JPG.979cbf4f44114f32ef7eb65276a0ee54.JPG

Many thanks to Stephen = He did a great job on the photos above of Pte/Sjt Bagshaw [in post #5]

Very much appreciated - I thought the colourisation was subtle [and not at all garish like some others' work previously seen] and I think worked very well.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

On 24/05/2020 at 14:44, sr97 said:

Hi all,

With the current situation I have found myself with a lot of free time and am offering my services as a photo editor and retouch artist to see if anyone needs photographs of relatives or persons of interested repaired or recoloured. I am adept at using Photoshop and have experience in restoring old photographs, I can work from a picture of the photograph or even better, a scan. Either way please do not hesitate to get in touch if its something you would like.

Stephen, how do you feel about tartan? I've hesitated because it seems quite difficult to get the colours correct. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole is a perfectly acceptable and understandable answer. Your work (and generosity) are excellent.

Pete.

22 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Stephen, how do you feel about tartan? I've hesitated because it seems quite difficult to get the colours correct. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole is a perfectly acceptable and understandable answer. Your work (and generosity) are excellent.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Tartan would definitely be a new experience but am happy to have a go at it, if anything it will provide me with a challenge in these strangest of times. If you dont mind feel free to send me a private message with the photo and we can chat some more about it.

Stephen.

23 hours ago, sr97 said:

Hi Pete,

Tartan would definitely be a new experience but am happy to have a go at it, if anything it will provide me with a challenge in these strangest of times. If you dont mind feel free to send me a private message with the photo and we can chat some more about it.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen, forgive the delay in responding; I will be in touch by PM once I've remembered which kilted regiment I'm dealing with and found a colour image of the tartan. The man in question was only in a kilted regiment for long enough to be photographed professionally before being transferred to the Cameronians who didn't wear kilts.

Pete.

Hi Stephen, I've tracked down the tartan (hunting stuart apparently) and found a colour photo. I'll be in touch by PM as you suggest. More apologies for the delay, I've no excuse whatsoever; but if I did it would be something like the dog ate my homework.....

Pete.

Can I just say a huge thank you to Stephen; the colourisation is superb and the tartan is brilliant. I'm really grateful.

Pete.

This is my great great grandmother with her three sons - who all survived the war. They were mostly scattered around the Med, Gallipoli, Egypt and Salonika, though my great grand father (the AOC Captain) and his brother in KOSB/Royal Air Force also served on the western front. Its's one of my favourite family photos 

photo 0280001.jpg

Stephen has done a marvellous job on the photo of my grandfather - see post 6 - so a big thank you to him for providing me with a decent version of the image that sparked off my interest in WW1 and my GF's part in it.

Phil

PS: It looks a bit blurry at this size but as a smaller image it's much better.

Alfred Waller Nov 1917.jpg

Edited by Phil996

Hi Stephen,

Just to say once again many thanks for the restored/coloured photograph of my late grandfather. It is so much appreciated, I will now have to update my avatar.

Cheers

Steve

948392404_AHRAtkinsapprox1922.jpg.d8f5c2ab146317167b900710a2abaac3.jpg

Steves Grandfather.jpg

Edited by hmsk212

8 minutes ago, hmsk212 said:

Just to say once again many thanks for the restored/coloured photograph of my late grandfather. It is so much appreciated, I will now have to update my avatar.

It was a pleasure Steve, thank you for the help regarding his characteristics and medals, always makes the job easier! Your offer for future research is much appreciated.

Stephen

Hi all,

Let me start off by saying that working on your photographs for the last few months has been an amazing experience. The trust you have all put in me has given me insight into the lives of the various men and families I have had the pleasure to bring back to life while the stories, facts and history you have shared with me has given me a greater understanding into the war and the contributions and sacrifices made.

I never expected the response received and with this in mind, I would like to share it here first that I am setting up a full time photographic restoration service, I will be making a new post regarding this soon with more information concerning quotes etc.

Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen. are you still doing colourization if so could you please have a go at this photograph Regards Peter.

G C DICK (2).jpg

medium.jpg

Peter

I think that Stephen is now doing this as a professional service. I'm hoping the link works?

Maybe you can contact him through this?

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Hi Peter,

Kev is correct (thank you for sharing the link), if you are still interested in having the portraits coloured, feel free to send me a private message and we can discuss it further.

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by sr97

• 4 months later...

Stephen did a wonderful job on my Great Aunt, fast initial turnaround, fast revision as well.

He will never be a millionaire, he undervalues his efforts, he needs to charge more !