Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick

HMAT Karoo

Frederick

Hi guys,

Like many others I am working on Family History. I am hoping someone will be able to tell me if HMAT Karoo (might be Karroo) sailed from Alexandria, Egypt, to Lemnos or Gallipoli departing around 30/8/1915 and arriving around 7/9/1915, and which Australian troops she carried on that voyage

Or alternatively can you suggest from where I can source this information?

Thanks,

Fred

johnmelling1979

Hello

Its name was Troopship HMAT Karroo (A10)

A picture of it in 1916 is in here

https://discoverytrailscomau.wordpress.com/18-1-5-hmat-australian-ships-during-ww1/

Transport Duties Dardanelles Operations 1915 - 1916

Also its mentioned in the very useful book here, with careful eyes looking in each convoy you will spot where its departing from in Australia  

Melbourne and Sydney seem to be mentioned a few time

No destinations though

https://issuu.com/anmmuseum/docs/sea_transport_of_the_aif

John

Edited by johnmelling1979

Frederick

Thanks for your help John. If the SS Karroo did leave from Alexandria on around that date, it will provide the missing piece to an intriguing story regarding my uncle that I will be happy to share with you later.

David26

Fred,

the file WO25/3542 would likely answer your question.  It contains lists of ships which sailed from 'abroad' to 'abroad' (where 'abroad' means not the UK) for the third quarter of 1915.  Sadly it has not been digitised and can only be examined by visiting The National Archives in Kew which is of course shut at the moment due to COVID19.

It may not help, but the Karroo had arrived in Alexandria on 18 July 1915, having sailed from Devonport in the UK on 5 July 1915. 

Good luck in your hunt,

David.

Frederick

David , thanks for your input. The "minor" difficulty there is that I live in Melbourne, Australia, and flights are a tad hard to get right now!

The reason for my inquiry (which might enthuse other researchers) is that I think my uncle might have jumped on a troopship at Alexandria out of sheer boredom on or about 30th August 1915 to get to the front at Gallipoli. At least that is what dates on his letters suggest.

David26

Fred,

that certainly makes things a little trickier!  But you can commission either TNA or a private researcher to look this up for you once TNA re-opens.  The TNA site tells you how to ask them to do it.  It is though apparently usually cheaper to get a private researcher to do this.  You can find members of the Forum who are willing to recommend someone by searching for "researcher" on the Forum.

The embarkation returns name officers and give their regiments, but just give numbers of other ranks for each unit, so depending on your uncle's rank (or the story he spun the transportation officer at Alexandria) you might just be able to confirm the family story. 

There are also disembarkation returns in the WO25 series, and the one for travel "between stations abroad" for the second half of 1915 is WO25/3703.  I'm afraid I've never examined these so couldn't comment on what they contain.

All the best,

David