Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CH/171 (s) Walter Turton RMLI

stevem49

CH/171 (s) Walter Turton RMLI Chatham Battalion.  

Despite my searching attempts, I cannot find a link on the NA online.  He died of wounds 30 May 1915 and is buried on Gib. 

His son Walter junior, also served on Gallipoli with the 9th Battalion Sherwood Foresters. The family must have been a little stressed to know of the former's fate as the son sailed later in the year.

Any pointers on searching would be greatly received.

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for starting this new thread. i did a search on Discovery, and nothing came up for him. I wonder if other people have encountered similar gaps in the RMLI records. 

I believe the Short Service came into being in 1914. As I do not have extensive research available, I am unable to ascertain when CH/171 (s) would have enlisted.

In theory, there should be some records for him at Yeovilton, and I am sure that others can further elucidate on what could be provided in terms of enlistment form, RND index card and B103 casualty form. The service from Yeovilton was suspended "for the foreseeable future" about 18 months ago.

What I was able to find on Ancestry was:

ADM 104/123

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60931/images/44994_adm_104_123-0234?

This confirms that he died of wounds. The more generic classification of "1" "Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action" is used in ADM 242/10.

Interesting that CWGC have him born in 1875 or thereabouts, yet his Admiralty records have a birth date of 8 April 1890.

I'am so grateful for your help. I did see William Henry but he was Walter on 1911 census and the family have him as Walter. I therefore discounted him without looking properly. On 1911 he as aged 36, so 1875.  Ancestry also has Walter so not sure how William Henry is listed on NA. Possibly as a married man of 40 he though changing his given names and birth date might help him get in! 

Thank you again for your expert help. 

Regards

Steve

A bit of a puzzle. His ADM 159 record gives no date of birth but his age on enlistment (24) suggests 1890. The Fleet Air Arm Museum holds his Attestation Pack. Interestingly, I have a note that these FAAM records for Walter give his d.o.b. as 1 Feb 1880 at Sutton-in-Ashfield. I also have a note that the FAAM pack of papers "include papers for TURTON, WH".  On the RM Medal Roll he is listed as Wm.H. TURTON (Medals claimed by and issued to his widow.) Clearly some confusion.

57 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

In theory, there should be some records for him at Yeovilton, and I am sure that others can further elucidate on what could be provided in terms of enlistment form, RND index card and B103 casualty form. The service from Yeovilton was suspended "for the foreseeable future" about 18 months ago.

Still closed. The Attestation Pack should contain enlistment paperwork for both Sherwood Foresters and (a week later) RMLI, AFB103, discharge papers and, possibly, correspondence. No RND Record Card, sadly - very few RMLI cards have survived and definitely not in his case..

Thank you again. I did get some records a couple of years ago from Yeovilton but did not realise they had suspended the service.  Enlisting in September 1914, he was obviously keen to go and possibly thought his true age would hold him back.  His Grandson will have to hope that the records will be accessible soon!.

Best Regards

Steve