Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7003 Pte David Hurrell 3rd Battalion Rifle Brigade

kev1874

Hi All,

I'm trying to tie down David's service in the army.  From his next of kin details I think he was born in Norwich to Walter and Rose Hurrell, his birth year is 1883 from the census's but his RAF papers have it 1881, could this have been because in 1899 when he originally signed up he would of only been 16 so needed to make himself 2 years older and its followed him throughout his military career? he appears on the 1911 census in Norwich married with children as stated on his RAF records. He's serving with the 3rd battalion at the out break of war and lands in France 10th September 1914 and I think stays with the 3rd until he transfers to the RFC July 21st 1916. His RAF papers have him enlisting 30/10/1899 and extending his service a couple of times, in what looks like 1911 and 17 to 21 years in total. Can any body have a look and help me understand it a bit better as it says he transferred to Sect D army reserve in 1911 so this means he wasn't in the army? Its just I thought if he joined the reserves then came back for war service he would have a different service number, 7003 seems to follow him until his RFC transfer?  Also it says he transferred back to the army in October 1919 does anybody know why this would have been, was it just for demob purposes?

Thanks for any help

Kev

3 hours ago, kev1874 said:

Can any body have a look and help me understand it a bit better as it says he transferred to Sect D army reserve in 1911 so this means he wasn't in the army? Its just I thought if he joined the reserves then came back for war service he would have a different service number, 7003 seems to follow him until his RFC transfer? 

Long, Long Trail has this on Section B & Section of the Army Reserve which hopefully will explain the situation and why he retained his 7003 number.

Section B Reserve
The most common form of army reserve service. For men who had completed their service in the regular army and were serving their normal period (typically of five years) on reserve. Section B reservists could only be called upon in the event of general mobilisation. Pay was 3 shillings and 6 pence a week.

Section D Reserve
For men who had completed their time in Section B Reserve. They could choose to extend for another four years and were placed in Section D Reserve. terms, pay and training was the same as Section B.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/british-army-reserves-and-reservists/

Cheers

Peter

David Edward Hurrell enlisted 20/10/1899, went overseas with the 3rd RB on 10/9/14. Accidentally fractured his Right Scapula and returned to the UK. Transferred to 50th Squadron RAF as 45337, Discharged 29/12/1919. Died Norwich 1953

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

4 hours ago, kev1874 said:

From his next of kin details I think he was born in Norwich to Walter and Rose Hurrell, his birth year is 1883 from the census's but his RAF papers have it 1881, could this have been because in 1899 when he originally signed up he would of only been 16 so needed to make himself 2 years older and its followed him throughout his military career?

Born 10 January 1883, baptised 02 February 1888 (St James with Pockthorpe, Norwich) son of Walter and Rosanna.

Married 03/08/1907 at New Catton, Christ Church.

Entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" on 29/04/1915.

Many thanks for the replies folks, I've found all what I thought were his Birth marriage death etc  but I was unsure because of the Birth year Difference, guess its just a mistake on the form?? 

I've not found his entitlement for the wound stripe thankyou.

Possibly Court Martialled at Chapelle D'Armetieres on 2nd February 1915 for Drunkeness.

Andy 

8 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Possibly Court Martialled at Chapelle D'Armetieres on 2nd February 1915 for Drunkeness.

Andy 

Thanks Andy, do you have a link? I'd like to view it

Hi Kev,

I cannot find another Hurrell that went overseas with the 3rd RB, hence I would say that it is him.

Andy

30 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Fold3_Page_249.jpg

Fold3_Page_250.jpg

Can you post the link to the original source image with it, please ?

Craig

31 minutes ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

Born 10 January 1883, baptised 02 February 1888 (St James with Pockthorpe, Norwich) son of Walter and Rosanna.

Married 03/08/1907 at New Catton, Christ Church.

If you haven't seen it, baptism transcription

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818c615e93790eca3ce3c13/david-edward-hurrell-baptism-norfolk-norwich-1888-02-02?locale=en

Address given is 6 White's Entry, (stated to be outside the parish of Christchurch, New Catton). Father Walter was only 18 on the 1881 Census, having moved with the family to London - which might explain the Rifle Brigade connection later. But makes it near impossible with out a birth certificate to track where the family were living at the time of David's birth. The earliest I believe I can find Walter is on the 1885 Register of Norfolk Electors, when he was entitled to a parliamentary vote as the male householder at 6 White Entry in the St James Ward.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939F-DXB9-L?i=685&cc=1824705&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A2C94-RMN

David doesn't appear to be on the 1901 Census of England & Wales, presumably because he had been posted outside those two countries. I can't however find him on the Boer War medal entitlement list - I had initially wondered if that might be the reason he lied about his age in order to join up. The 1st & 2nd Battalion were in South Africa at the time of the 1901 Census, (the 4th didn't get there until December 1901). Service number 7703 in the Regular Army Battalions of the Rifle Brigade ties in with the 1899 enlistment.

https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/09/rifle-brigade-regular-battalions.html

So most likely already serving with the 3rd, although Hart's Annual Army List for 1901 doesn't actually state where they were stationed.

David Edward Hurrell is recorded on the 1909-10 edition of the Norfolk Register of Electors at  4 Cook's Building, Denmark Road, Norwich. During the previous year he had lived at 7 Gaffers Buildings, Grapes Hill, Norwich, and 42 Rose Yard, St Augustines, Norwich. There was a residency period in order to qualify for the parliamentary vote which could be waived if it had already been served at a previous address and entitlement to vote was continuous. Alternatively if he needed to complete the residency period, time at the other addresses could count towards it rather than the clock being reset. (4 Cook's Buildings is the address he was at on the 1911 Census of England & Wales)

1909-10 edition: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2C9Y-QP5

1910-11 edition: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2C9B-WWB

On the 1911-12 edition he is recorded as having moved to Appleton's Court, St. Georges Street, Norwich.

1911-12 edition: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2C9B-VN2

1912-13 edition: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2C91-KGP

After that he disappears from the Norfolk Electoral Register, even though he could have appeared on the 1913/14 and 1914/15 editions if he was resident - the registers were prepared in advance for elections called in those periods, so wouldn't necessarily be impacted by him being mobilised in August 1914. I've had a quick look but so far I've not come across him in the Norfolk press amongst the list of local reservists who had been mobilised.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Peter that's fantastic information thanks so much. I've found some of the details but not his baptism and hadn't look at the electoral rolls yet. I've found his 1918 marriage too spouses name was Hoyle

58 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Hi Kev,

I cannot find another Hurrell that went overseas with the 3rd RB, hence I would say that it is him.

Andy

Andy thanks for the confirmation.

Thanks for the help so far 

Kev