Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Simple question 

In the 1915 the Bucks Yeo and Berks Yeo trained with the 9th an 21st Lancers in the 7th RCR and were based at Mooltan Barracks Tidworth. Can anyone tell me which cavalry barracks in Tidworth the 4th RCR was based at please?

On 22/05/2020 at 12:55, AndrewFrench said:

Simple question 

In the 1915 the Bucks Yeo and Berks Yeo trained with the 9th an 21st Lancers in the 7th RCR and were based at Mooltan Barracks Tidworth. Can anyone tell me which cavalry barracks in Tidworth the 4th RCR was based at please?

The other two cavalry barracks were Assaye and Aliwal, that were adjacent.  The three barracks were at opposite ends of the garrison, with Mooltan at the Northern end.  If I were a betting man Aliwal Barracks would be my choice, as it was at the opposing, South Western end, and Assaye Barracks is known to have been used by infantry 1914-15.

The Australians were given Bhurtpore and Candahar barracks.

The British infantry also had Lucknow, and Jellalabad Barracks.  

Delhi Barracks (between Candahar and Jellalabad) had been converted into a Military Hospital in 1907.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Now those are PROPER names for barracks!

4 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Now those are PROPER names for barracks!

Sadly only Jellalabad (most but not all listed Grade II) is left in its original form.  These barracks were incredibly solidly built, using high specification  engineering bricks, and it was apparently only because modern plumbing could not “cost effectively” be retrofitted that the decision was taken to demolish them and build modern replacements.

Suffice it to say that the collaborative ‘Aspire Defence’ have not built something with the same quality, or potential longevity.  Indeed so many shortcuts were taken to improve margins (read profits for share holders) that they were not fire safe and there have been numerous fires leading to parliamentary questions and castigation by the so-called Veteran’s Minister. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for all the suggestions. The reason I am asking is that I have a copy of the diary of Robert Elverstone of the 3/1st Warks Yeo, and which was published under the title "Farewell to the Horses" It described in detail his leaving Tidworth and proceeding overseas. The Berks Yeo had a draft leaving on the same date which I can now track in detail due to Tpr Elverstone's diary.

The photograph below shows a draft from the 3/1st Berks Yeomanry ready to leave Mooltan Barracks c1916-1917

Regards to all Andrew

462883461_Draftof3-1stleavingTidworthforEgyptSummer1916.3-SheetoneLuffArchive(1200dpi).jpg.62dd0292a372729a74121f3b57b9b064.jpg

Edited by AndrewFrench
add caption