Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with an RGA ancestor

RobM

Hi, 

I've been researching my ancestry (like many with time on their hands these days). I have one who was in the Royal Garrison Artillery who I don't know much on, beyond the available documents on Fold3. I wondered if any of you learned fellows can shed a bit more light for me, as his service records service, but are rather scant?

William George Hemus, Gunner, 158731. Attests on 2nd Dec 1915, discharged on 14th Dec 1918. served with 443 Siege Battery. 

I assume he went to France, but when or where, and what actions he was part of, I don't know. 

Any help from you chaps would be most gratefully appreciated. 

Kind regards and thanks for any replies.

Rob Martin

I cant see anything in his service record indicating that he served abroad nor could I find a MIC for him. What have you found on Fold3 that indicates foreign service?

Looking at attestation on Ancestry...

he enlisted May 1915 but active service reckons from May 1917.

Service record states that he served at home from May to August 1917. Nothing more although it is very faint.

George

16 hours ago, ajsmith said:

I cant see anything in his service record indicating that he served abroad nor could I find a MIC for him. What have you found on Fold3 that indicates foreign service?

Hi, 

Nothing more than the posting to 443 Siege Battery, which I thought was in France, according to Wikkipedia- in truth, on re-reading that, it was actually about the 44th. 

Regards

Rob

Where exactly was he from....next of kin etc?

Edit.....just found him.

As posts #2 and 3 above state....nothing to suggest overseas service in the service record.

Edited by sadbrewer

8 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Where exactly was he from....next of kin etc?

According to his attestation signed 2nd Dec 1915, he was lodging at 19 Musgrove Road, Winson Green, Birmingham (that's the North side of the city, so probably South Staffs at that time).

He gives his next of kin to be his mother, Emma Hemus, of Swan Street, Alvechurch, Worcs.

Regards

Rob

It looks to me as though he had some underlying medical issues....the record appears to show him being ( if I read it correctly) being fitted with elastic stockings.

Further on the question is being asked why his case hasn't gone through the Medical Board.

From Findmypast.

Screenshot_20200521-132707.jpg

23 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

It looks to me as though he had some underlying medical issues....the record appears to show him being ( if I read it correctly) being fitted with elastic stockings.

Further on the question is being asked why his case hasn't gone through the Medical Board.

From Findmypast.

Screenshot_20200521-132707.jpg

Brilliant. 

Thanks loads

Is there a date to that entry?

He was found to have varicose veins at his examination on November 20th 1916 and supplied with an elastic stocking on June 21st 1917.

He was categorised B2.

(In Nov. 1916 the VVs were classified as 'Slight defects but not sufficient to cause rejection.')

443 SB left for Egypt in Sept.1917 (one section, personnel only went out to France).

It looks as though he was transferred to the army reserve on 14/8/1917 (can't make out which class, or why), but he wasn't  discharged until December 1918.