Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ida Mary Twiston Golder VAD

mbriscoe

There is a window in Chester Cathedral commemorating her, picture should be on the WMR tomorrow

Ida Mary Twiston Golder (Mollie)/ V.A.D. 1915-1917 aged 21/ All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave.

Just looking her up in the BNA, she was a VAD nurse at Chester from 1915 to 1917.  She contracted septic pneumonia from a war patient and passed away in ten days.

File:Ida Mary Twiston Golder (V.A.D.).JPG

Provided under the copyright of Hystfield via Wikimedia.org

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

There is also another cloister memorial window commemorating her parents, herself and sister.
"To remember Stephen and Margaret Golder, and their daughters, Ellen and Mary."

3 hours ago, mbriscoe said:

There is also another cloister memorial window commemorating her parents, herself and sister.
"To remember Stephen and Margaret Golder, and their daughters, Ellen and Mary."

Are you sure that it is the same family? The census shows the family as James Tolputt Golder, Ida M. Golder, Effie Margaret Golder and Ida M. Golder. I suppose that Ida M. Golder could be Margaret; Effie could be Ellen, Ida Mary Golder could be Mary BUT Stephen is way out.

A Stephen Golder, bookseller, stationer and printer died 23rd November 1902 in Chester (from the Probate Register) with probate granted to James Tolputt Golder so may be brother or father. Likely to be father and a widower living in Chester in 1901 with his spinster daughter. But in 1881 Stephen Golder was married to Margaret Golder and had three children being Ellen M. Golder, Fanny S. Golder and James T. Golder. 

So I would suggest the second window relates to Mollie's grandfather and his immediate family.

Yes, did not check it carefully enough, just saw the unusual surname but I have a feeling it is more common in that area.

Cheshire Observer - Saturday 18 September 1926

Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

MEMORIAL TO MISS GOLDER.
Cloister Light Dedicated.
There was a large congregation in the south cloister of Chester Cathedral on Monday afternoon. when the Dean (the Very Rev. F. S. H. Beuncte dedicated beautiful stained glass light, which has been erected in memory of Miss Ida Mary Twiston Golder (daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Golder. of Chester, who died in 1917. Miss Golder. from 1915 to 1917, was a V.A.D. nurse at Chester, and lost her life in her efforts to alleviate the suffering of wounded soldiers. ln the course, of her duty, she contracted septic pneumonia from war patient and passed away in ten days.
The light, which is beautifully coloured, represents St. Faith. a virgin saint, who, as a child. suffered martyrdom at Agen, Aquitania, during persecution of Diocletian. When brought before her judges and asked what religion she was of, she replied. "From a child I base served the Lord Jesus with all my heart I confess His Name and commit myself to Him with entire devotion."' The magistrate urged bar to withdraw her confession, and when she refused, ordered her, to be burnt to death on a brazen grate. Her constancy is said to have had such an effect a fellow Christian, who had watched her death  from a hiding place, that he came forward and, confessing that he was a Christian, shared her fate. She is generally represented in art with a palm-branch and a grate.
At the foot of the light appears the inscription :— "lda Mary Twiston Golder (Mollie),  V.A.D., 1915-1917. Aged 21. All you had hoped for; all you had you gave."
The short but impressive service was taken by the Dean, whose dedicatory prayer was: "In the faith of Jesus Christ and ever loving memory of Ida Mary Twiston Golder, we dedicate this window in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost."
At the close of the service the Cathedral Choir, under Mr. J. T. Hughes (Cathedral organist), rendered "Comes at Times" (Oakley), which was composed for the unveiling of the Prince Consort memorial at Edinburgh.
The service was attended by Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Golder, Mrs. Moore and Miss Golder, and a number of friends of the family from a distance.