Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ground Trades

petet

Is there a document which identifies the ground trades that were on strength of a Corps squadron when it mobilised to France (along with the numbers associated with each trade). I am looking at 1917 and 1918, so would trades / numbers have changed during this period?

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

PeteT

2 hours ago, petet said:

Is there a document which identifies the ground trades that were on strength of a Corps squadron when it mobilised to France (along with the numbers associated with each trade). I am looking at 1917 and 1918, so would trades / numbers have changed during this period?

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

PeteT

Hi 

The Army Form G1098-33c of July 1917, Mobilization Store Table for 'A Squadron-Royal Flying Corps' (18 Aeroplanes) Service Squadron and (24 Aeroplanes) Corps Squadron (2 Seater equipped with Wireless Sets), is the document concerned.

I hope this is of use.

Mike

119274172_pro290212253.jpg.ac028be762ef86dadfe1157ba68bfc40.jpg

1900341635_pro290212254.jpg.55fd2a087337e94d341ce72f58345031.jpg

Thanks, as always, Mike .... a couple of follow up questions .... firstly, why is there a mixture of ranks and trades ... eg what was the trade of the serjeants? and secondly, what would the table look like when the squadron was reduced to a cadre?

Regards

PeteT

11 hours ago, petet said:

Thanks, as always, Mike .... a couple of follow up questions .... firstly, why is there a mixture of ranks and trades ... eg what was the trade of the serjeants? and secondly, what would the table look like when the squadron was reduced to a cadre?

Regards

PeteT

Hi

In other sources (eg. 'From the Ground Up - A History of RAF Ground Crew' by F J Adkin, p.58) there is mention of "...' our engine Sergeant and Corporal both knew their jobs. ..." and there is mention in the document posted previously that as well as four 'Serjeants' there was also four Corporals amongst the tradesmen.  I suspect there would have been one sergeant and one corporal 'Rigger' as well, as these were the biggest trade groups on the flight.  There may of course been two of each for both these trades or some of the 'smaller' trades may also had a 'serjeant' or corporal instead.

For 'cadre squadrons' I suspect that the personnel strength would depend on the number of aircraft on strength, for example if the 'squadron' was now the strength of a 'Flight' then in theory it would have the personnel strength of the standard flight.  However, it may also depend on the individual demobilization requirements for each tradesmen, as well as not undertaking 'operational flying' which might mean they had less personnel.

I hope that is a help.

Mike