Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Gallipoli catalogue

Dust Jacket Collector

I thought fellow book collectors might be interested in this post from Tom Donovan that appeared today on Linkedin. Tom tells me that ‘imminent’ means in about 2 weeks.

Tom Donovan shared a post for the first time in a while: “Gallipoli Revisited” TurnerDonovan is pleased to announce the imminent publication of a fully-illustrated catalogue dedicated to the Gallipoli campaign of 1915. The material on offer will include unique manuscript and documentary items and many books of the greatest rarity, probably the finest such collection ever to be offered. This selection has been assembled through the purchase of several fine collections, notably that of our dear departed friend and fellow collector Peter Metcalfe. Tom Donovan and Glenn Mitchell of Peter Harrington were asked by Peter to take care of his collection in the event of his death, an event which sadly took place in 2018. All who knew him miss his quick wit and intelligence, and the sense of slightly mischievous fun he brought to everything he was involved in. Peter Harrington and TurnerDonovan are proud to offer the Gallipoli section of his library in this catalogue; exceptional manuscript material and rare books relating to various colonial campaigns, the Crimean War and Anglo-Zulu War were major interests, as well as to WW1 and WW2, will be offered in future catalogues. If you are not already on our mailing list please enquire through our website or by telephone 44-1273-566230 to ensure receipt of this and future catalogues. TD, May 2020

• 1 month later...

Just to update members of the forum. Tom Donovan’s Gallipoli catalogue is now online at his website. There are nearly 250 works listed. Looks rather good to me.

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Just to update members of the forum. Tom Donovan’s Gallipoli catalogue is now online at his website. There are nearly 250 works listed. Looks rather good to me.

It demonstrates how good  Peter Metcalfes' collection was. It is an extremely fine catalogue, and may become a reference work for books on Gallipoli, really nice photos. It reminds of Maggs catalogues of the 80's - every book quality

very good but the Bertram Rota of 1988 now that was a list!! he says looking misty eyed into the distance !

6 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

very good but the Bertram Rota of 1988 now that was a list!! he says looking misty eyed into the distance !

Have you got it? If so could you scan and paste a few pages please.

I have it somewhere more a little book than a catalogue !

6 hours ago, MartH said:

Have you got it? If so could you scan and paste a few pages please.

I have it if barkalot can’t find his.

I see that a few other people must have noticed the new book Tom listed at £65 ' War Diary of Cyril Day ' was available on Amazon at £19.95 . 9 copies

available when i ordered mine last night , now all gone .