Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Gratuity

joerob

Hello I am looking for help understanding my great uncles War Gratuity,  I think the Gratuity is in red ink £8, he died on 26 May 1916 so how can I work out when he enlisted.

What is the £10 6s 5d in black ink for ?. 

He lived in Newcastle,  other family members joined the DLI, would he have had a choice who he signed up to ? 

He was "accidently shot " in Authville  France I presume on the same day he died, I have attached the 2nd batt KOYLI diary extract but nothing is mentioned for that time, could there be an account of what happened and where could I find it.

On his pension card it looks like his mother was originally his dependant but she is crossed out as deceased and his father made dependant, but his mother didn't die until 1945 and his parents lived together in Newcastle, any ideas why this would have happened ?  

I know I am asking for a lot of information or advice as to where I might find it but I have spent months going round in circles and would love to have a better understanding of what he went through.

Thank you in advance for whatever information you can provide.

Joe

charles george reader ww1.png

creader.pdf 2nd battalion 26 may 1916.pdf

12 hours ago, joerob said:

Hello I am looking for help understanding my great uncles War Gratuity,  I think the Gratuity is in red ink £8, he died on 26 May 1916 so how can I work out when he enlisted.

What is the £10 6s 5d in black ink for ?. 

He lived in Newcastle,  other family members joined the DLI, would he have had a choice who he signed up to ? 

He was "accidently shot " in Authville  France I presume on the same day he died, I have attached the 2nd batt KOYLI diary extract but nothing is mentioned for that time, could there be an account of what happened and where could I find it.

On his pension card it looks like his mother was originally his dependant but she is crossed out as deceased and his father made dependant, but his mother didn't die until 1945 and his parents lived together in Newcastle, any ideas why this would have happened ?  

I know I am asking for a lot of information or advice as to where I might find it but I have spent months going round in circles and would love to have a better understanding of what he went through.

Thank you in advance for whatever information you can provide.

Joe

charles george reader ww1.png

creader.pdf 1.03 MB · 2 downloads 2nd battalion 26 may 1916.pdf 731.31 kB · 1 download

The monies in black are unpaid wages etc, the money in red is the war gratuity.

The £8 (net) war gratuity was £10 gross. Running it through my calcualtor this tells us that,

image.png

https://www.wargratuity.uk/war-gratuity-calculator/

#22713 was not a 1914 era number so checking around leads us to the 'SDGW' database. This shows

'FORMERLY 9821, DURHAM L.I.'

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FWWISD%2F0350069

It looks like he was part of batch of men transferred from the DLI to the KOYLI.

#22719 KOYLI was formerly #9249 DLI.

He had enlisted 3 Sep 1908 in the special reserve and was transferred to the KOYLI on 1 May 1915 . This man then landed in France on 5 May 1915, the same day as Reader.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007271424%2f02431&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7271424%2f182%2f2423

Craig

In respect of the pension the claim could be transferred between parties and there may have been a financial reason why the claim was swapped. With the lack of records we will never be able to say for certain.

Craig

Thank you so much Craig for the information, you have helped me enormously, I was not expecting a reply so quickly.

I wouldn't have known about the service number being changed but it does answer the question why other members of the wider family were in the DLI and we couldn't find an explanation as to why he was in the KOYLI and you have solved it. 

Thanks again Joe