Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st East Yorks October 1918

David Burlinson

Hello all, 

Looking for any other potential sources for the 1st Battalion East yorks in the 2nd half of 1918.  

I have the excellent book book on the East Yorks by Evaraed Wyrell and the Battalion war diary, however is there any other source of information? My Great Grandfather J Burlinson was killed on 25/10/1918 with 1st east yorks. Buried at the farm mentioned below: 

Another attack was launched at 4 p.m. by the 64th Brigade on the right and 62nd Brigade on the left, the 1st East Yorkshires and 15th D.L.I. of the former Brigade (on the right and left respectively) advancing and capturing the third objective, i.e. the road running south-east from Grand Gay Farm. 

Originally he was with 6th East Yorks however seems to have been transferred to the 1st but his record has no detail on this. He overstayed his leave at home by 2 months in spring 1918 and was picked up by civil police before being returned to the front, could he have been posted to the 1st after this? 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. During the lockdown, the National Archives are offering free downloads of War diaries. You have to register then you can search and download up to 50 per month I believe.

Michelle 

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. During the lockdown, the National Archives are offering free downloads of War diaries. You have to register then you can search and download up to 50 per month I believe.

Michelle 

Thanks Michelle, I got both the diary of the 1st and 6th yesterday!