Lance Corporal J Sharp. 1968

Promoted Lance Corporal 12/11/14

Promoted Corporal 9/4/15

Appointed unpaid Lance Sergeant 1/6/15

Promoted Sergeant 6/2/16

Attached Cadet School 11/9/16

20 Par Com 8/16 (don't fully understand the first part) in 2 Lancs Fus. 22/9/16

Lieut W103 London Gazette 29/12/16

What i dont understand is he was promoted Sgt 6/2/16 and attached cadet school 11/9/16 yet what does 20 par Com 8/16 mean, was he commissioned before Cadet school?

• 10 months later...
I am researching this man, whose medals i have

Lance Corporal J Sharp. 1968

Promoted Lance Corporal 12/11/14

Promoted Corporal 9/4/15

Appointed unpaid Lance Sergeant 1/6/15

Promoted Sergeant 6/2/16

Attached Cadet School 11/9/16

20 Par Com 8/16 (don't fully understand the first part) in 2 Lancs Fus. 22/9/16

Lieut W103 London Gazette 29/12/16

What i dont understand is he was promoted Sgt 6/2/16 and attached cadet school 11/9/16 yet what does 20 par Com 8/16 mean, was he commissioned before Cadet school?

My GGF was an instructor in a Cadet School for the 16th lancers. Where was your relative based for the Cadet school ?

16thlancers said:
My GGF was an instructor in a Cadet School for the 16th lancers. Where was your relative based for the Cadet school ?

Doing well for Scarlet Lancers right now, aren't we... You two might want to look at this:

I'm a tad busy preparing a meal for 16 for tonight, so can't add anything now....

Mark

That was magnificent. I've seen published books less well illustrated. That is a wonderful collection of photos by any standard, and to have them as a personal collection with full details of your grandfather is superb.

Gunner Bailey

Mark

That was magnificent. I've seen published books less well illustrated. That is a wonderful collection of photos by any standard, and to have them as a personal collection with full details of your grandfather is superb.

Gunner Bailey

Cheers. Since doing that i've built it up to around 20,000+ words, and have massively increased the amount of pictures thanks to contacting my dads cousin who had a load of stuff at his. Ciarans been a great help with loads of bits and bobs too, thanks mate! I'm now considering, once I finish writing it all up, possible publication. 500 hardback copies for around £4k. Worth thinking about! Sometime in the next 3 weeks my father and I are heading over to retrace his route around the battlefield in the month of his war. Should be good!

Cheers. Since doing that i've built it up to around 20,000+ words, and have massively increased the amount of pictures thanks to contacting my dads cousin who had a load of stuff at his. Ciarans been a great help with loads of bits and bobs too, thanks mate! I'm now considering, once I finish writing it all up, possible publication. 500 hardback copies for around £4k. Worth thinking about! Sometime in the next 3 weeks my father and I are heading over to retrace his route around the battlefield in the month of his war. Should be good!

Mark

I think a well documented tour by decendants would be a charming contemporary final chapter to any history. Have a great time.

By the way, that piece of shrapnal looks very painful.

Gunner Bailey

Reserve me a copy. I think Ciarians going to do some digging in the PRO regarding my GGF on my behalf. If he finds anything you can include it.

Read the article, great to have so much of your GGF. Unfortunately, mine lived in Silvertown after the war and he was bombed out. Almost everything was put in store under the Silvertown way/bridge and was looted, including his full dress uniform and all, barring a few pictures, of their possesions.