Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

PVT George Evanson

EvansonTracker

Hi

I'm hoping to find out a little more on George Evanson, who served in the 14th Hussars prior to ww1 and then in the 20th once war broke out. I have what I believe to be his service number - 9658

Kind regards

Marc

The medal roll confirms that he was a 20th Hussar. And yes, 9658 is his number.  he was discharged in Nov 20 "no longer physically fit for war service". The roll also says something I can't decipher. 

Edited by Gareth Davies

1 minute ago, Gareth Davies said:

The medal roll confirms that he was a 20th Hussar. And yes, 9658 is his number.

Thanks for confirming, especially in such speedy fashion

Are you able to tell me a little more about medals awarded to him please?

What's your connection to him?

Just now, Gareth Davies said:

What's your connection to him?

Great great grandfather

His daughter Eileen is my nans mother 

He had the Victory Medal and the War Medal. A standard pair. 

Thanks Gareth

I've just noticed your edit on previous post - I believe he served in the hussars from around 1888, so gosh, what a lot of years he gave. No surprise he was no longer fit for service by 1920. 

I don't suppose you can see anything on his wife in the military records you've come across? 

No, sorry.

16 minutes ago, EvansonTracker said:

Thanks Gareth

I've just noticed your edit on previous post - I believe he served in the hussars from around 1888, so gosh, what a lot of years he gave. No surprise he was no longer fit for service by 1920. 

I don't suppose you can see anything on his wife in the military records you've come across? 

Where was he from/born etc.

13 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

No, sorry.

Thanks anyway Gareth 

2 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Where was he from/born etc.

Manchester, roughly 1881/2

His wife from Ireland 

I did a search on him on the British Army Ancestors site.

The bad news is that there were no WO 97 series records, covering the period 1760-1914, that were in the listing. (This site lists records, and has a link to FMP, where they can be accessed for a fee.) The good news is that there is a George Evanson on the 1911 Census, who could well be the same man.

https://britisharmyancestors.co.uk/search-result/?q=george+evanson+hussars

3 hours ago, EvansonTracker said:

Thanks anyway Gareth 

Manchester, roughly 1881/2

His wife from Ireland 

A bit sparse that ET, Manchester's a big place....can you narrow it down to areas he might have lived, or where and who he married or names, dates of birth of children etc.

Edited by sadbrewer

3 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I did a search on him on the British Army Ancestors site.

The bad news is that there were no WO 97 series records, covering the period 1760-1914, that were in the listing. (This site lists records, and has a link to FMP, where they can be accessed for a fee.) The good news is that there is a George Evanson on the 1911 Census, who could well be the same man.

https://britisharmyancestors.co.uk/search-result/?q=george+evanson+hussars

Thank you so much for this bit of info and the link. 

2 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

A bit sparse that ET, Manchester's a big place....can you narrow it down to areas he might have lived, or where and who he married or names, dates of birth of children etc.

My apologies

I'm not sure exactly where in Manchester but I do know he and his family ended up in Essex - such as Colchester and Lexden. 

He married a Kate Lee, from Naas Ireland (unfortunately I haven't been able to confirm any of Kate's background beyond that)

They had six children - one boy and five girls between 1908-1922. The first two being born out in India while in service with the 14th Hussars. Their daughter that was the mother of my nan was born in 1913 and named Eileen Evanson. 

Kind regards

Do you have any way of confirming his service number in the 14th Hussars? I don't know where Paul Nixon has sourced that number from, and I got the impression that someone looking like your man was a civilian on the 1901 Census. 

I have come across service numbers on the birth certificates of the sons of a WW1 rifleman and a WW2 airman, but do not know if this practice occurred in peacetime.

7 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Do you have any way of confirming his service number in the 14th Hussars? I don't know where Paul Nixon has sourced that number from, and I got the impression that someone looking like your man was a civilian on the 1901 Census. 

I have come across service numbers on the birth certificates of the sons of a WW1 rifleman and a WW2 airman, but do not know if this practice occurred in peacetime.

Hi Keith 

I have the number 4398 for his 14th Hussars days. 

Kind regards

Just looking on Ancestry, there is a tree on there that looks fairly well researched...it shows him being born in Pendleton in 1883, and living in Wem, Shropshire as a 17 yrs old grocers assistant in the 1901 census....in 1911 he is shown as 14th Hussars.

A picture of his father in his capacity as Wem Stationmaster.

Screenshot_20200516-115242.jpg

Edit...a bit of digging and I've found George had an adopted brother who served in WW1, Trevor Vivian Greatorex, 52275,

RAMC.

Born 1889 in Whitchurch, he seems to be in the Army in 1914,

In 1916 he marries  Elizabeth Nightingale in Knighton, Radnor.

In 1919 he is The Mill Road Hospital of the West Derby Union Workhouse in Liverpool.

Edited by sadbrewer

On 16/05/2020 at 11:48, sadbrewer said:

Just looking on Ancestry, there is a tree on there that looks fairly well researched...it shows him being born in Pendleton in 1883, and living in Wem, Shropshire as a 17 yrs old grocers assistant in the 1901 census....in 1911 he is shown as 14th Hussars.

A picture of his father in his capacity as Wem Stationmaster.

Screenshot_20200516-115242.jpg

Edit...a bit of digging and I've found George had an adopted brother who served in WW1, Trevor Vivian Greatorex, 52275,

RAMC.

Born 1889 in Whitchurch, he seems to be in the Army in 1914,

In 1916 he marries  Elizabeth Nightingale in Knighton, Radnor.

In 1919 he is The Mill Road Hospital of the West Derby Union Workhouse in Liverpool.

Some brilliant information here. Thank you for taking the time to look. 

Kind regards