Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20 Balloon Base - Decoding my Grandfather's Record

Dave C

Hello, 

Thanks a lot for floating by!

I've been researching my grandfather's First World War experiences, though I've had pretty good progress I'm a little stuck I suppose for the most part on some of the more general questions about how it all worked.

Charles Wallbank -105387

Joined the RFC on 26th December 1917 and by definition the RAF on 1st April 1918.

His first unit was "2 B Sqdn" would mean "No 2 Balloon Squadron", from 1st April 1918 to 13th July 1919, which is great but how would I go about finding out where he was or why, if that's even possible.  Might that code DRO/165 offer a clue?

He was then transferred to 20 Balloon Base (Orkney) until "Disp C Purfleet", 8th August 1919.  I wonder what the point of observing from Orkney was?  Is this to do with observing any shipping movements?

On 1st January 1919 Charles was reclassified as an "Aircraft Hand", I guess in this context Aircraft is balloons not planes.

From 1923-1930 he made his living as a photographer, in particular of fires for the local newspapers.  I'm thinking perhaps he may have learned his craft while working with the balloons?  

If anyone knows of any good books and other material I might read in order to understand the use of balloons by the British in WW1 it would be great if anyone could point me in that direction.  The only real sources I've found relate to US forces or WW2.

The forum has in the past been very helpful while I was piecing together my grandfather's pre-RFC experiences in the 2nd Loyal NL Regiment, for which I'm still very appreciative.

Many thanks, 

Dave C

p.s. three out of four of his surviving children are completely convinced I just make all this stuff up!

CharlesRecordZoomin.jpg

Dave C

20 Ballon Base was located at RNAS Caldale situated about 2 miles west of Kirkwall.

See: https://canmore.org.uk/site/2566/caldale-airship-station-caldale-vehicle-and-balloon-maintenance-depot

Dave

DRO = Daily Routine Orders.

Disp C = Dispersal Centre (where he would have been demobbed.

Errol