Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Easter Vist St Quentin/Somme

StAubyns

We have just booked the shuttle for Easter - at £98 RETURN! - going out on Friday and coming back on Tuesday. There are conditions ie times of travel, but at this price we can accept these. I just hope that this offer is available all year.

We will be walking in the St Quentin area as well as the Somme and perhaps a drive along the Chemin des Dames with stops on the way. Soissons could well be on the itinery as well as Laon.Maybe a day in Paris.

We have been doing this for the last 3 years, at least 3 visits a year and I thought that other pals may be interested in our accomomodation solution. Its not for everyone, but if it suits you its relatively cheap.

We had a touring caravan and we had stopped using it on a regular basis in the UK and so we decided to take it to France, which we did in October 2001. It costs us 200 Euros to store the van at a really nice site 15 minutes drive from St Quentin and 110 euros insurance. These are annual costs. When we use the van it is 15 euros per night for 2 people all inclusive.

So we have a temporary home in France, 40 minutes drive from the Somme, on the doorstep of the Hindenburg Line, 90 minutes from Paris by train. Our neighbours vary, from French, German, Dutch, Belgian and qiute a few Brits, most just passing through. BBQ's, good food and wine and fishing as a bonus.

I'm not sure if this post should have gone in Chitchat, if its wrong, sorry.

Regards Geoff