Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Connolly RDF

Mr Patrick Dunne

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Are you after specific information? Please let the forum know what you would like to find out.

Michelle 

could you find army record of Alexander Connolly perhaps invalided out of royal Dublin fusiliers 1918/1919: pension number:251114: thank you

Only when he enlisted and what was he pensioned off for because he was only born in year 1900 so he must have been underage:The no of pension is SAH 2837 and the no 251114 at right top of page:dated September 1919 and maybe what battles he was in thank you-He was one of my uncles who served in Great War 

• Admin

Always a good place to start is reading, as recommended, the Long Long Trail website. Please also be aware that at least 60% of service records were destroyed in a bombing raid in WW2.

Michelle 

2 hours ago, Mr Patrick Dunne said:

Army record of Alexander Dunne perhaps invalided out of royal Dublin fusiliers 1918/1919: pension number:251114:

Nothing obvious comes up in a search for Alexander Dunne in RDF

There is no Medal Index Card and no Pension Card for any Alexander Dunne

Can you give his date and place of birth and I can see from his Irish Record Office entry if there is any alternative to just "Alexander Dunne" and whether that was the exact name he served under.

His father´s name and address and age would be helpful too

Edited by corisande

Whereas "Dunne" is a common name in Ireland "Alexander Dunne " is not. In 1911 census there are only 3 Alexander Dunne listed in the whole of Ireland and they were all born before 1890

I suppose it’s possible that he might have served under a middle name as his first name. As we know some men did not like their first name, often I’ve found because they clashed with a father after whom they’d been named and then spent their adolescence rebelling against him.

Edited by FROGSMILE

"I suppose it’s possible that he might have served under a middle name as his first name."

Yes. I feel we have to get back to basics and get his actual birth registration which will have full name and date of birth

There were no registered births between 1895 and 1905 of "Alexander Dunne" in the whole of Ireland. There was one " Alexander Dunn" in Strabane in 1897 in the same time period

2 hours ago, Mr Patrick Dunne said:

Only when he enlisted and what was he pensioned off for because he was only born in year 1900 so he must have been underage:The no of pension is SAH 2837 and the no 251114 at right top of page:dated September 1919 and maybe what battles he was in thank you-He was one of my uncles who served in Great War 

Hi corisande In case you didn’t get the (corrected) name for my uncle:It’s CONNOLLY not DUNNE: Cheers

Patrick

Afraid you need to give us the sort of information that I have asked for. Your pension refs lead nowhere, and as I say "Alexander Dunne" does not exist in RDF

And I have not seen "Connolly" nowhere else in the thread here - where did you post that?

Edited by corisande

No Corisande I gave you wrong surname :it’s Alexander Connolly:I was in Royal Ulster Rifles myself with lieutenant Wheeler no-less -General Wheeler he became:cheers

Alexander Connolly was invalided out of the RDF on 10 Dec 1918 with Chronic Nephtitis

He had a mother Clara and lived at 2 Swifts Row , Dublin

RDF no 31988

Born 1899

1911 census in Dublin

connolly-1911.jpg.03a31e027fb56c373a48fd7ae0f20f4e.jpg

8 minutes ago, Mr Patrick Dunne said:

died in 1922.

You probably meant to say did in 1926

connolly-1926.jpg.cd06ce81f101a1780aff67aa35053356.jpg

• Admin

I've only just picked up the email asking to change the name from Dunne to Connolly sent by the OP. 

:thumbsup:

:)

Sorted it anyway