Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres at Easter

Paul Johnson

I will be staying at Essex Villa over Easter and would like to know if there are any recommended places to eat in the Ypres area, particularly those which may be frequented by members of this forum.

Your views would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

Hi Paul

Would recommend you try the blue trumpet in the square to the right of the flanders fields museum. I understand it is the only place in the row of eat places where there is a proper chef in situ.

We dined there last Wednesday and can report food is excellent

Peter

There has been much discussion of this subject, as you might imagine. If you enter he word cyper in the search box, you'll find at least some opf it.

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk
;) Try Der Anker or the Trompet..Food and Beer excellent or failing that The Shamrock near the Belgium War Memorial,the Bloke who runs it is half English and is a great Chef...goes by the name of James.

Try the restaurant "De Ecurie" behind the café "Het zilveren hoofd" in Rijselsestraat 49 (side entrance in the street next to the café).

The restaurant is in an old (restaured of course ;) ) horse stable but the food is excellent.

Thanks for the advice everyone. At least I will have some alternatives. I assume that these places will be open over the Easter period?

Regards

Hi Paul

Another great place to eat which I recommend to all our guests and not one bad report is 't Ganzeke which is in the first main car park opposite where the coaches park at night nr GB supermarket. Excellent steak and fish very good value for money and very reasonable prices.

Have a good stay over here.

Liz

Thank You, Liz.

Will give it a try.

Regards

PAUL J :ph34r:

Go out of the main square a short way up Botterstraat past the Cloth Hall and the excellent Calinor chocolate shop (best in Ypres) is The Sante where you will get a warm Anglo-Belgian welcome and excellent light meals and drinks.

I'd second the 'Poppy' and also 'Calinor' :)

Also the Old Tom for a glass of Hommel Beer!

Cheers

Ryan

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk
:D if you are visiting the Kemmelberg,a very good Hotel/Restaraunt is De Hollemeersch,a family run business with fantastic panoramic views of Messines,Whitesheet,Neuve Eglise and a handy orientation table so you can get your bearings,if the weathers good there are some interesting cemeterys to visit,in particular being Pond Farm which is very isolated but worth the visit....beware of the 2 Swans on the Pond as they are very territorial...have a good trip. :D

Again, my thanks to everyone who has responded. All this info will help to make a great success of my trip. Thank You.

I was very disppaointed with the Vivaldi's food when I went after its redecoration last year, but everyone has an off day! The Cyper has long been a favourite of several forumites, as discussed on previous threads. What's wrong with it, Tom Yperview?

I always used to be a Vivaldi fan.............until the redecoration/extension, food was okay service and atmospher gone down hill IMO

Tried Poppy, would go again, so happy to recomend

I am really sorry to hear Vivaldi has slipped, it was my favorite, but I have never had a bad meal on the Grote Markt and have had quite a few.

How about update on the new pub an English guy opened? I can't handle level of smoke in Shellhole tho I like it otherwise for the people. I can take smoke most places but it's terrible.

Paul-The Sante, owned by Anglo-Belgian couple Patrick and Fanny is recommended in my earlier post. Food and drink excellent, friendly welcome, not too smoky. Now adopted as official cafe of the Bury Grammar School battlefields tour. Go for their super sandwiches and guest beers!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all, once again. Looks like I won't have time to visit all these wonderful eateries. Never Mind, I'll just have to go back, won't I!!!

Regards

PAUL J :ph34r:

Paul-The Sante, owned by Anglo-Belgian couple Patrick and Fanny is recommended in my earlier post. Food and drink excellent, friendly welcome, not too smoky. Now adopted as official cafe of the Bury Grammar School battlefields tour. Go for their super sandwiches and guest beers!

Mark

I totaly agree with that. I have just spent 4 days in Ypres, with my good friend, Iain McHenry, and we ate in the Sante a few times. He also does a very good English breakfast (even though he comes from Colchester!!)

Beer is excellent, company very good and all of my tours will be stopping there from now.

'The Central' on the main square is also very good!!

What a wonderful response from you all, for which I am very grateful.

On my return I will pass on my comments as to what I found.

Regards

Hi Mark & Everyone Who Took The Trouble To Reply,

Here's what I found;

Calinor - Excellent Chocolate

Sante - Good For Drinks/Snacks

Blue Trumpet/ Den Anker - Nice Menus but Expensive

Old Tom - Good Beer & Sandwich's

De Hollemeersch (Kemmelberg) - Excellent views & good beer

(This could be judged by the state of the barman!!)

There is also a wonderful Bakery in the town as you head back to the main road.

However, my "Wipers Oscar" goes to, "The Poppy". Excellent choice of very tasty dishes, Good Beer, Great Prices, Friendly Service, Not Too Smoky and just a few steps away from the Menin Gate. So you can have an evening meal and then walk up for the Last Post. Fantastic!

Thank You to everyone who, through this forum, made my trip even more satisfying than I could have hoped for.

Regards