Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TNA, WO 142/266, History of the Organization of Gas Defence in the British Army.

Robert StJohn Smith

Hello, 

Does anyone have a copy or know where I could find a copy of the following document  ? 

TNA, WO 142/266, History of the Organization of Gas Defence in the British Army.

Regards

You should be able to obtain a copy from the national archives 

HERE

Ray

Looks like you would need to order all six documents from the series at Kew, and consult them in the reading room, as they have not been digitised.

I thought I would give it a shot as I have seen it referenced in a couple of other places. I was keen to take a look at it as i believes it mentions the development of anti-gas training.  In particular the six seconds to apply the mask and the use of gas chambers and tear gas. 

The Australian Army website contains a link to a document "SS 111C Typical Standing Orders for action During Gas Alert and Hostile Gas Attacks, September 1916"

https://www.army.gov.au/our-heritage/history/primary-materials/1914-1918-world-war-one Click on Documents

Cheers

Maureen

Edit: When TNA reopens, you could consider a copying service such as arcre.com, assuming he continues on with this service. ( I have seen good reports, although not personally used)  https://www.arcre.com/copyservice

Edited by Maureene

• 3 months later...

Hi Robert, I'm new to the GWF. I reviewed these TNA files for my MA dissertation a few years back; did you discover the origins of the six-second rule? I don't recall reading that level of detail. There may also be reference in Gas Warfare Monthly - although I have not yet found a complete collection of all of those pamphlets (despite being a one-time resident at Winterbourne Gunner). As lockdown eases I would like to resume my own research into use of gas shell for offensive purposes by the BEF - if I find anything I'll be a you in mind.

• 1 month later...