Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte William H Brown 19434

mrfrank

Just restored and framed this memorial item that I'd bought a few months back. Would anyone be able to provide any additional information regarding this young soldier from 10th KOYLI who was killed shortly before the Bn was amalgamated with the 9th? I have the basic CWGC details, but despite currently having access to Ancestry, I'm finding it difficult to find further details (probably due to my inexperience/poor search techniques). Basically, can anyone tell me his full name and when he enlisted? Anything extra would be a bonus. Thanks in advance. 

image.jpeg

Other than the fact that he was in D Coy (which you will have seen on the CWGC entry) I can't add anything. Like you I can't find him on Ancestry.

Edited by Gareth Davies

Found him. William Henry Brown. His pension records are on Ancestry. 

His mother was Annie, born 1866. 

Only his MIC, first entered theatre of war on 11/9/15 but doesn’t say which one. It’s only a guess but I suspect he joined late 14 or early 15

Simon

This should be useful from The Yorkshire Evening Post, January 1918.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200513-114123.jpg

The brother killed in 1914 appears to be John Brown, he is shown in the 1911 census as soldier.

Edit...his brother was John Reginald Brown No 7659, 1st Battalion, Scots Guards.

Killed on 11 November 1914.

John Reginald had married Rose Oliver on March 14th 1914...he was a reservist. 

From The Yorkshire Evening Post November 25th 1915...a year after John was killed.

Screenshot_20200513-174149.jpg

Edit2...John has a very full and interesting surviving service record, he was a Railway goods porter in civvy street and had a few disciplinary brushes in his first stint in the Army.

Interestingly his medals were claimed by his Mother rather than his  Wife.

Edited by sadbrewer