Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Missing?

Kathie

I have only one soldier declared missing in 1917 and then a year later in 1918 his familiy was notified he was considered dead and then they had a memorial service. What was the official lline on this?? I remember a thread as to what was required for death to be accepted (was there one?) but was it just time that converted missing into dead or was this also an eye witness who was found??

Thanks

Kathie

Kathie

I've come across quite few newspaper accounts of "Mrs Bloggs" receiving notification that "Pte Bloggs" was presumed to be dead. Anything from 3 months to a year after the likely the event. A year seems to be the going rate, but I suspect if I'd analysed them I'd find that, earlier in the war (say 1914/15), the period tended to be shorter.

John

Kath,

You may find a number of inquiry's about this on this site if you check.

But basicly as soon as posible after the battle a court of inquiry was held into those who were killed and missing.

This was held by the unit and it took evidece from all soldiers who may have know what happened to all those lost.

At the end there was a a term used to record the soldier as either dead or still missing, most were decaleared dead and notice was sent to the family as they would had already recireved a message to inform them of the man missing state.

If no confirmation could be found during the Court of Inquiry they were left as MIA, This did cause problems as the families could only claim the dead man's money if a death Cirtifate was issued.

As to when the final notice of death was given is as stated veried from case to case some took till after the war while others were not.

S.B

My Great Grandfather's family received official word of his death after going missing 1st july 1916. The date was August 1917(presumably as this was a family obituary-not too long before 25th August 1917).

So it would appear a year was about the average, for a man missing in combat.