Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dvr John Williamson 59832 RFA, missing DC? (Scotland)

PaulC78

Have just been looking at this man as a potential non-com but I can't seem to find a DC for him. John Williamson, 59832, RFA, apparently born in 1896 and died on 5 July 1921, he had tuberculosis which was attributed to military service.

GBM_WO363-4_007302789_00020.jpg.df5abeae4816fc63bfcf4c2a8a661964.jpg

Fold3_Page_4.jpg.e57e8675b946bd3605644c0f4f94c5a0.jpg

Obviously ScotlandsPeople was my first port of call but there are only two search results and it's not the first one:

Capture.PNG.c0f5fdf7c8d2dfc925ab807d2f0e43bd.PNG

Have checked England/Wales and Ireland in case he died elsewhere but nothing obvious, no burial record either.

Not much additional information to go on but an Isabella Buchanan was living at 19 Little Street Glasgow in 1925. His mother's forename could be recorded as Isabella, Bella or Isa

On 11/05/2020 at 11:14, alf mcm said:

Paul,

FreeBMD have a John Williamson, age 24, who died in Mansfield {the only result for ages 24 & 25}. https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl This may be worth checking.

Regards,

Alf McM

Paul,

Just found out that this John Williamson actually died on 15th May 1921, so not your man.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks chaps, looks like he could remain a mystery.

Paul

If you go onto ScotlandsPeople and search him as John Buchanan. There is a death certificate for a John BORLAND who died on 5 July 1921 at Knightswood Hospital Glasgow aged 25 years from pulmonary tubercle. His usual residence was 19 Little Street Glasgow. His mother is named as Isabella Borland who was subsequently married to a Thomas Buchanan. John Borland obviously served as John Williamson for whatever reason.

Thanks, I see it although I don't have any spare credits at the moment. I assume it has both BORLAND and BUCHANAN on the DC as it's indexed under both names? Is there any mention of WILLIAMSON on there?

Could be tricky as his military records are all under WILLIAMSON with no hint of an alias.

He is only recorded as John Borland on the death certificate. No mention of Williamson. I have checked the birth certificate and there is a John Borland born 25 August 1896 to Isabella who lived in 6 Kirk Street, Calton, Glasgow. No mention of his father's name. It may be possible that his birth father's name was Williamson although that has not been recorded on John Borland's birth certificate. His mother was unmarried at the time of his birth. His birth father may have been Thomas Buchanan who Isabella married after the birth so maybe there is a Williamson link there. Good luck with your research.