Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AS G A Wilkins Collingwood & Anson Btn’s 1915

JohnW

My wifes G G Uncle Able Seaman George Arthur Wilkins Z/171. He was originally enlisted in the RNVR 10/12/1914. He entered Collingwood Btn “C” Comp, 3rd Platoon. 04/03/1915. As many know the Collingwood Btn was decimated at Gallipoli in 1915. Though i dont know the full role of Georges Company or platoon at this time.  George was then placed in Anson Battalion under Temporary Lt KR Dundas on the 08/06/1915. He was killed in Action 05/07/1915 repelling a Turkish attack, which resulted in a counter attack. Temporary Lieutenant the honourable KR Dundas  RNVR ,wrote about this at 9am on the day. The Turkish attack had originally occurred at about 7am. He writes of losing some of his men. George was Born in Lewes 25/05/1891. His family home, at the time of his death was 35 Milner road, Brighton, he was 24. He Is buried at Redoubt Cemetry,  Helles. Plot 11, Row C , 1.

Spoiler

1722A4A1-EC4E-406D-89BF-D477C35CA44A.jpeg

Edited by JohnW

A brave young man, one of nine Ansons lost in that action,

N.B. his number was Sussex Z/171. You need to quote his RNVR division because there were seven RND ratings with the number Z/171.

My Wifes GG Uncle George Arthur Wilkins SZ/171 Enlisted RNVR 10/12/1914. As of 04/03/1915 he was in Collingwood Btn, C Company, 3rd Platoon. He was transferred to Anson Battalion 08/06/1915 under Lt KR Dundas RNVR. He was sadly killed in action 05/07/1915. At some stage during a Turkish attack, and resulting Allied counter attack. He is buried At Redoubt Cemetery, Helles Plot 11, C, 1. Just wondering if anyone knows any more about him.

ECE837A2-8C6E-444B-A648-9C87A9BB9603.jpeg

Edited by JohnW

You now have two threads running the same topic. Perhaps MODs could merge to avoid unhelpful duplication.

In Collingwood Bn his Platoon Officer was Sub Lt Ronald Worthington JUKES RNVR, who was missing assumed killed on 4 June.

Lt The Hon Kenneth Robert DUNDAS RNVR was 2i/c of Collingwood 'A' Coy. Transferred to Anson Bn on 8 June, he was placed in command of 'C' Coy. Two months later he was killed in action by a shell at Suvla Bay.