Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Bayernwald - Ypres Salient

genevrac

In case anyone is intending to visit Bayernwald this year please note that the Tourist Office for Heuvelland have now introduced a fee, I believe that for individuals the cost is 1.50 euro per person and if you are going in under a group booking then the cost is 1 euro per person.

You will pay this at the Tourist Office in Kemmel when obtaining the code for the entrance.

Genevra

I just checked... indeed :angry:

a lot of people are not happy with it.

It gives more disavantages than advantages.

I just call it typical. :(

Personally, I do not have a problem with it. I have taken several groups there, and have always paid the tourist office 1 Euro donation per person. The trench system at Bayrnwald is very good, but will need constant attention to keep it to this high standard. All that costs money, and I think that as groups visiting will undoubtedly contribute to wear and tear, they should also contribute to cost. And the fee is very reasonable when you compare it to other museums in the area.

Personally i don't have a problem with the fee itselfs.

But the way to get in and pay for it is very bad and very unpractical...

For example, you are in charge of 2 busses on a sunday morning.

you can't get in before 10.30 !!!

Kristof

I don't see your point? It is the same with every museum. They have opening hours and an entrance fee. I think the admission system for Bayernwald is already very liberal and cheap. We cannot expect the local community to maintain this interesting site on their own expense. And for such a small town the opening hours of the local Tourist office are very acceptable and much better than other places. After all they have only two people in their staff, which means that one weekend in two they are on duty.

See you tomorrow

Erwin