Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battle of Jutland

Paul1962

Hi,  I'm hoping that someone maybe able too help me.

I'm looking for information on my Great Grandad that was Scottish and was in the Battle of Jutland 1916, he was 19 years old, his name was Peter (James) Nairy. unfortunately this is all the information l have. His date of birth was 21/8/1897.

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Paul1962
Spelling

Welcome to the GWF.

Could this be he?: James NAIREY born 4 January 1879, Greenock. Enlisted in 1898 and discharged Services No Longer Required in 1906. No apparent service after that so NOT at Jutland (or WW1)

Edited by horatio2

Horatio,

think not. I suspect you've misread the DoB in the original post.

Simon

112 records for men with that date of birth in the RN https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q="Birth%3A 21 August 1897" ADM&_ps=60 but none of that name, There is a John Neary but he's Irish.

Nobody of that name on https://www.jutlandcrewlists.org/directory-of-names either.

I don't think Horatio has misread the DOB on the original query, so much as is suggesting that the original 1897 date might be an error for the only Nair[e]y he can find.

Not so much a problem with mis-reading d.o.b. but with trying to identify any naval person with the name of NAIRY who served in WW1. There appear to be none. Thus must grasp at straws! Somebody else may be more lucky than I.

I see

Peter Nairy, born 1898, Fireman, Service number 953416, Merchant Marine Reserve, discharged 20.2.19, issued British war medal and Victory medal by RN

There are 2 pension index cards and the medal roll on Ancestry for him

Well, I have picked up a Peter Nairy born 1897 on familysearch.org but although the citation mentions BT350 I'm not finding him there.

"United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KC71-T53 : 5 December 2014), Peter Nairy, ; From "Merchant Navy Seamen1835-1941," database and images, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : n.d.); citing BT 112-116, 119-120, series BT350, The National Archives of the UK, Kew, Surrey.

Hi Jane,
A chunk of the records were inadvertently disposed in 1969, which I guess covers both Mercantile Marine & Mercantile Marine Reserve.

2 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Hi Jane,
A chunk of the records were inadvertently disposed in 1969, which I guess covers both Mercantile Marine & Mercantile Marine Reserve.

Keith, that may well be what happened. However, here is the familysearch.org record: it cites findmypast so I wonder if the record survived there ...

Peter Neary.jpg

Edited by seaJane

1 minute ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Thanks for the screenshot, Jane. Is it the case that he is listed in the index, but the actual record is elsewhere?

He didn't come up in the BT 350 search 
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3386

I'm glad it's not just me that couldn't find him in BT 350! Listed in the index must be it. But I don't know how we can find a cross-bearing from the Jutland end on this evidence, unless there's a newspaper reference out there somewhere in the British Newspaper Archive.

One of the pension index cards gives a ship name of 'Eliro' I cannot find anything on this ship and it would be worth checking an image of the card to ensure that the name has been transcribed correctly

Possibly the Armed Merchant Cruiser (AMC) HMS EBRO but she was not at Jutland. As an AMC she was likely to have numerous MMR ratings in the ship's company..

Unless a newspaper article comes to light, and even that's not 100%, it seems improbable this young man would have been aboard a ship and present at Jutland. Perhaps, like Henry Allingham, he was at sea at the time of the battle, but I can't see how this 18 year old would have been on a Grand Fleet warship. 

Hi,  everyone thank you so much for doing the research on this man for me,  all l new is that he lived in Scotland. But you have all given me something to go on.  Thank you

4 hours ago, seaJane said:

Keith, that may well be what happened. However, here is the familysearch.org record: it cites findmypast so I wonder if the record survived there ...

Peter Neary.jpg

Think that would most definitely be him??

37 minutes ago, Paul1962 said:

Think that would most definitely be him??

The date of birth and name match, and nothing else can be found, but it's still not proof that it definitely is him.

Thanks for everyone's efforts in trying too track this seamen, l have been told he was not killed in the line of service, l have like a few of you searched the Jutland Crew List website but with no luck, but they are updating the site all the time so hopefully one day him and his ship will be listed.  Thank you once again everyone for your help.

The Jutland Crew List project is source-based. If a surviving service record documents that person's presence aboard a ship at Jutland, they will add the person to a crew list.

I would have thought that none of the purpose built warships would have had any crew from either the MMR or the Mercantile Marine. HMS Engadine was not a purpose-built warship, but it is hard to ascertain how she was crewed, in the absence of a ship muster and the destruction of a number of MMR records, as already mentioned in this thread.

Hi

There is a CR10 record card for him in findmypast in BT350 which includes a passport style photo of him in early 1919. I'm pretty sure that the photo was taken in Belfast.

Details for Peter Nairy are

rating: fireman. born 21 August 1897, Motherwell, Scotland.

next of kin: sister Mary Nairy, Downhill Convent, Glasgow.

discharged from Ebro (official number 136346) on 24 Jan 1919.

information on card suggests to me that in 1919 he may have worked in the home trade between Glasgow and Belfast.

hope this helps

best wishes

ernest james

Hi ernest James,  is there anyway if getting hold of the passport sized photo of him.? Thank you for tou researching.

1 hour ago, ernest james said:

Hi

There is a CR10 record card for him in findmypast in BT350 which includes a passport style photo of him in early 1919. I'm pretty sure that the photo was taken in Belfast.

Details for Peter Nairy are

rating: fireman. born 21 August 1897, Motherwell, Scotland.

next of kin: sister Mary Nairy, Downhill Convent, Glasgow.

discharged from Ebro (official number 136346) on 24 Jan 1919.

information on card suggests to me that in 1919 he may have worked in the home trade between Glasgow and Belfast.

hope this helps

best wishes

ernest james

Hi ernest James,  is there anyway if getting hold of the passport sized photo of him.? Thank you for tou researching.