Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German helmet plate?

moulie11

Hello all

Further to my earlier post, here's another badge from the collection I'm drawing up an inventory for.

It's brass/gilt metal, with an eagle surmounted by a crown. It was attached to a scrap of paper with "LUAKALA NOV 15 1917" written on it in pencil. It measures 50mm x 75mm. Sadly, it seems to have been donated in or before 1990 without any provenance - no name of the donor is recorded or how they came by it.

Given the presence of the eagle, I'm assuming it's German. I'm also assuming that Luakala is a location but the only place that Google throws up on a search is Lukala, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. 

Does anyone have have any suggestions as to what the badge might be? Perhaps a helmet plate?

Any advice much appreciated - and, again, apologies for the poor images!

Luke

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

That is an Askari helmet plate!

34 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

That is an Askari helmet plate!

Ah, that's interesting! I've had a look online but am struggling to find a comparative example. Any pointers?

Would be interested to know which British divisions would have been in the right area at the right time for someone to have picked this up and brought it back home. Again, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be very much appreciated.

Luke

Also this is a nice pic:

German Askari

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

Also this is a nice pic:

German Askari

Thanks for your help in identifying this, AOK4. It's much appreciated. What an interesting item to have in the collection!

Luke