Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Other Ranks Wrist Watches

mark holden

There was a discussion in the Postcards thread around page 309 about other ranks use of wrist watches. I offer some here that have attribution to NCOs and soldiers.

1. Wristwatch that belonged to Cpl Charles Lotz 20th Bn Middlesex Regiment. He sent this watch home to his wife in 1917 to be repaired. The letter that accompanied the watch mentions its serial number which is identical. He asked his wife to send his spare wristwatch from home. He died a few months after sending the watch home of peritonitis. 

2. Wristwatch guard that belonged to CSgt Summerford 13th Londons. My Hercule Poirot deduction is that at one point there was a wristwatch it protected

3. Wristwatch guard that belonged to Gunner Harry Airey MM.

4. Unattributed wristwatch with a cut down photo of a young Pte soldier. Possibly sent home to his relatives after his death with the photo added as an In Memoriam.

Keep safe

Mark

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1832.JPG

IMG_1833.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

Edited by mark holden

Thanks for this material. Numerous personnel required watches, primarily officers and signallers. Most watches were private purchase, although some were issue and marked with the broad arrow. I purchased my first WW1 AIF uniform (Major) at the widows deceased estate clearing auction in 1977, his broad arrow marked pocket watch was in a box jewellery that sold for more than I could afford.

Back when it was easier to attribute Great War watches to the individual soldiers, pocket watches appeared to be much more common than wrist watches, but very few where obviously government issue marked.

Cheers

Ross

173840862_OZ122019Pocketwatchinleatherwallet2.JPG.aa4312701413ad4678a5aabe898a2c25.JPG

Typical AIF officer's pocket watch in leather wallet with a small cotton pouch for the watch to provide additional protection when required. Acquired from the family while administering his estate in 1978 - identity protected as a condition of the accession. Watch has no obvious government markings, the case has not been opened.