Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question about ww1 era French dog tag

Thatww1pigeon

Hello there, I just wanted to verify if this is an actual and legit ww1 French dog tag. I bought it at an antique store in Paris and the owner told me to add the 1915 by 15 years? I was hoping to find out if 1915 is the year the soldier was deemed fit for service or if it was the year he entered service. 

I was also wondering if anyone knew any websites where I could look up his serial number? I want to know more about him. 

Thanks, Elliot

50BD2D60-0B7E-4849-A650-D86CFEE54083.jpeg

A358534C-FFD5-4C8A-9E54-AE3F6149C262.jpeg

Hello, Elliot -

It certainly appears to be a genuine tag.  The "1915" date was Echard's class year - the year that he was 20 and therefore the year he would have entered military service (as you suspected).  "Lille" is the geographical area (department?) where he reported for service.

There is a website where I will check and see if Echard died during the war.  If he did not, I do not know how you can check his service.  Perhaps some more knowledgeable forum member can advise you.

This type of identification tag was the most common French tag of the war.  

I hope that this information helps.

Regards, Torrey

Hello, Elliot - I could not find Henri Echard on the list of French war dead.  Hopefully, some other forum member can be more helpful.  Regards, Torrey

Hi Torrey, it is good to know it is genuine. I have been wondering for some time now. Thank you for doing some research, at least he didn’t die in such a horrible war.

If you don’t mind me asking, what is the website that’s you used to look him up? Thanks, Elliot

Some of his records relating to his enlistement should be in Archives Départementales du Nord in Roubaix. The fiches d'immatriculation (?) may even be on-line. Try here:

https://archivesdepartementales.lenord.fr/?id=archives_militaires

Good hunting.

Edited by Hedley Malloch