Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wounded allies' relief committee

ChrisB

Hello,

I am french and during the World War I, my grandfather was wounded and sent to an English hospital at Limoges from march to June 1916 (in the Art School) run by the “Wounded Allies Relief Committee”.
I am looking for archives about his stay (passage in this hospital as well as his medical record).
Could you please tell me to who I can make this request to?
Thank you for your help,

Christine

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

Hello,

I am french and during the World War I, my grandfather was wounded and sent to an English hospital at Limoges from march to June 1916 (in the Art School) run by the “Wounded Allies Relief Committee”.
I am looking for archives about his stay (passage in this hospital as well as his medical record).
Could you please tell me to who I can make this request to?
Thank you for your help,

Christine

UK medical records are pretty much minimal - the vast majority of records were destroyed either not long after the war or in the WW2 records office fire. You'll be exceedingly lucky to find anything.

Craig

Bonjour Christine and welcome to the forum.

If you can provide your grandfather's name there is just a chance that some kind person on the forum may know the best place to look.

Amitiés

seaJane

The Wounded Allies Relief Committee operated under the British Committee of the French Red Cross.  The hospital at Limoges, situated in the Musee Ceramique, lasted from January 1915 until March 1917, though it had been in existence before the WARC took it over.  As far as is known, no records of the BC FRX survive. 

Norman 

Hello seaJane

My grandfather's name : Charles Billon

In june 1916, he received a letter from a nurse. She worked in this hospital. I'm trying to identify her, she didn't sign with her name.

Perhaps someone will recognize this writing... (I know that Juliet Mansel worked in this hospital during this time).

Thank you for your help

1916.06.22 letter.jpg

1916.06.22 signature.jpg

1916.06.22 postal stamp.jpg